What's new

Asus RT-AC66U v. RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

foosion

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to decide on a new router.

I live in an apartment with many other routers in the area - I usually see about 20-30 2.4ghz APs and a few 5ghz APs. Signal strength from some of the other 2.4ghz is about about as strong as I'm getting from my current router.

Most of the time I'm within 15'-20' of the router and on the other side of a wall. For internet, my wired computer always gets about 25Mpbs, while wifi varies widely - from my most used spot speed varies from about 8-15Mpbs. I'm assuming this is due to interference. If nothing else, I'd hope moving to the much less crowded 5ghz band will help.

We have an N laptop and a bunch of N and AC mobile devices. Most of the use would be internet, but also some amount of transferring files to or from the wired desktop.

I'm leaning towards the AC66U on the theory that I'll migrate to AC over time and because some have said the AC66U is better than the N66U even on N devices. Some others have said the N66U is more stable.

I'd install another firmware if necessary.

What would you recommend?

Last edited: