What's new

Asus RT-AX86U Aimesh - Two Unmanaged Switches on Node (one not working)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PhilH930

New Around Here
Hello. I recently upgraded from RT-AC86U to RT-AX88U. Marginal improvement, but am finding AX devices to perform better, and overall slightly better coverage. However, in making this upgrade I added a second switch. I am running into issues connecting the second switch and maintaining wired internet connectivity on devices connected to said switch. Probably way overthinking it, but any suggestions appreciated.

All wiring terminates in a patch panel (10Gbps) in my basement allowing me to connect between rooms. Fully appreciate the blending of Cat 5e and 6 is not desirable, but to date has not been an issue and have no intentions of running new cables to rooms.

Setup 1 is desired as it has 2.5Gb backhaul. This approach then takes the two switches from ports 1 and 2 on the Asus Aimesh node, however, the second switch (lan 2 for sake of argument) does not connect any devices to the internet.
Setup 2 connects all devices, but reduces backhaul to 1.0Gb as the node follows an unmanaged Netgear GS108 limited to 1.0Gbps. I can live with this approach, but just prefer the 2.5Gb.

I'm a complete amateur with all this, but attempted to capture in image.

Attachments

• Router Setup.jpg
    Router Setup.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 149

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!