What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a feeling enabling QoS disables hardware acceleration. Does 100Mbit/s traffic peg the CPU with it enabled?

All tests are WIRED SPEEDS from SPEEDTEST.NET
QOS NAT HW ON

90% cpu
92~ 100 mbit down

50% cpu
40Mbit up

QOS OFF NAT HW ON

25%cpu
120MBIT down

15% cpu
40mbit up

QOS off NAT HW OFF

25% CPU
120MBit down

15% CPU
40 MBIT up

Tools Reports HW Disabled do to QOS Switch control show enabled

Wifi speeds same reguardless seeing most devices hover around 25-50mbit, I gathering this means CPU inst up to snuffy with those speeds with QOS if that true make me kind sad payed 180$ of this router and thinking it would hand my speeds I pay 50mbit before optimum change my tier to 101 mbit and grand father me in with is original 14.99$ 101 normal cost 55$ more. and ever 6 month that speed seem jump up higher it was 50/8 went to 100/20 now it 120/40. Speed are fine so long as QOS is off, and CPU dont budge past 25% with QOS off, turn off QOS not option. I guess i have to deal with it unless i by a new router which i perfer not to do. unless the multi core router will make huge diffrence that and i get better wifi signal. As side question does QOS on router general turn off HW accleration or is it asus thing, cause to recently I had my router always use QOS and till about year go i only on had 50mbit

2nd question does TX power adjustment even do anything? my under stand is is should increase the power of signal so things farther way from router will have better signal? cause 50% or 100% dont seem to change the signal strength much if any for me 2.4ghz about 25 feet away results in 2 bars with 50% TX and 3 bars with 100% (this is computer side tell me the bars Router says its 4 bars. Which is correct Laptop (leylac-PC) which report 2-3 bars (50% 100% TX power) at 25 feet or the router reporting 4 bars

Also i have this UI problem "5" Wired pc reported when there is only 2 and 3 will show up IF i turn on my ps3. Know only thing i can think of that "might" be causing this is the 2 hopper/2Joey system i have which wifi connected and the other hopper and 2 joeys share the wifi threw its own internal wired bridges, but those other joeys/hoppers show up at wifi. but it pretty sure it was listing "5" before the hopper system was connected. Only other thing other then i can think of is I renamed some of the Wifi devices 3 maybe 4 easier to remember names but those show wifi bars next to them and not ethernet, Which only 2 are show in that pic but tab reports 5.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
Dual WAN options

Hello everyone,

I was wondering about the precedence between the Dual WAN load balanced option and the Dual WAN routing rules.
Does the routing rules have the priority?
Thank you!

Hello, I'm kinda new at this thing, sorry for the noob question
just bought off this RT-AC68U , using the official firmware, Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.376_1663
How do I change to merlin firmware? is there a step by step guide to do this? thanks a lot :)

Hello, I'm kinda new at this thing, sorry for the noob question
just bought off this RT-AC68U , using the official firmware, Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.376_1663
How do I change to merlin firmware? is there a step by step guide to do this? thanks a lot :)

You just download the merlin firmware and install it using the routers web admin page... the procedure is just like you would do with ASUS firmware. you would want to do a restore to factory defaults (after the firmware upgrade is completed and the router has been rebooted).

Thanks a lot for a fast response, xavierh !
for the restore on the factory defaults, did u meant the restore settings on the administration page ? do I need to save the previous firmware settings?

Thanks a lot for a fast response, xavierh !
for the restore on the factory defaults, did u meant the restore settings on the administration page ? do I need to save the previous firmware settings?

yes, the restore to the factory defaults is the one int he admin page. no i would advice against saving the settings... is better to, once the router reboots to set the configuration again instead of restoring...

Asus RT-AC66U Merlin 376.47 firmware.

Wired Max speeds 120/40 possible

QOS on Up limited by 15mbit Reguardless of Down setting 70/80/100/125 max i seen 105mbit
3837016934.png

90% cpu or 100% if it passes 100mbit

QOS off max i seen with QOS is 120/40mbit

3831956512.png

25% cpu usage.

Now if HW Acceleration disabled with QOS off results in the same speeds and cpu usage as in 2nd test give take with in that 120/40 max

And as for the QOS there seems to be bug in the downlimit? (not sure it by design,issue from asus that carried over to merlin)

Setting upload to
20=20
25=25
40=40
ETC ETC
earlier Firmware had bug where I had to Double my upload limit to get my actual speed (ie to get 8 that i had at the time i need to put 16 in upload)was fixed in 372.31

Setting Download to
50=100
60=100
80=100
125=100
200=100

Would seem specifying download limit has Zero effect and once the router hits 100mbit with QOS cpu is getting pegged which is limiting speeds??

Now

Last edited:
Just upgraded from 3.0.0.4.354.29

I recently updated all my openVPN keys and couldn't get routing to work (although the openVPN connection to the N66U as an OpenVPN Server worked fine) - I couldn't even ping the default GW!

I found this odd as it seemed to be working fine before.

So I checked the logs and found in 372.31

FIXED: OpenVPN Server in TAP mode + DHCP wasn't routing
properly (DHCP was overruling the default GW)

I just managed to upgrade to 376.47 - just on the main page - WOW - so many improvements in just one year!!! I've got to keep up more with these updates.

Anyhow, I will post a little later if I manage to get OpenVPN to work again.

World of Warcraft drops connection after a few minutes when using the dual WAN feature. I have a second cable modem connected to LAN 1 and have the dual WAN feature set to load balancing. Everything seems fine but WoW loses the connection after a few minutes of playing. I've tried a few times. I got the same problem with the stock firmware. I haven't been able to identify any common characteristic to what I was doing in the game when the connection dropped. Any hints on how to debug this?

If I simply unplug the second cable modem on LAN 1, my WoW connections are stable.

How is the dual WAN feature implemented under the hood? What Linux features does it use? Point me to the right pieces of the kernel and I might have a better idea of what to focus on.

openVPN Server tab gone!

Ack! The openVPN Server tab has disappeared.

Edit OK - I see that the tabs have been integrated now (v.nice!!!) I think I got the server up - will try logging in from the outside later today.

Does this mean that these comments about configuring /jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd{1,2} are obsolete or not needed?

Last edited:
Ack! The openVPN Server tab has disappeared.

Edit OK - I see that the tabs have been integrated now (v.nice!!!) I think I got the server up - will try logging in from the outside later today.

Does this mean that these comments about configuring /jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd{1,2} are obsolete or not needed?

No, custom-configured ccd files is still possible, for users needing more flexibility.

No, custom-configured ccd files is still possible, for users needing more flexibility.

Thanks - that's good to know.

FWIW, with the updated FW, I still cannot ping my GW - although openVPN connects fine.

I suspect that either the configuration files are out-of-sync or something is wrong with my routing configuration.

I will start a new thread listing my .ovpn files to see if I can gather some insight from other users.

Hi,

does spin-down work correctly in this release? I imagine, that my USB-HDD (2.5" 1TB Seagate ST1000LM024 in Inateck USB 3.0 HDD case, mounted as /dev/sdc1 on /tmp/mnt/Volume type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)) doesn't spin down although following settings:

5336729529e0a14ce6c26a76b3ff0265.png

If I take the HDD case in my hand I feel the HDD spinning even after hours inactivity. I cannot find any spin-up/spin-down entries in the system log, excepting sd-idle-2.6[31129]: initialized after changing the settings (the time) and aplying the settings in the web IF.

What's wrong? How can I test the spin-down function? Many thanks in advance!

BR

----
EDIT: I shall correct my previeous post. I set the idle time to 5 minutes (300 seconds) and disabled VPN, because it dumped the system log with messages. Now I see the spindown and spinup messages like
Oct 18 10:35:28 sd-idle-2.6[31390]: spinning down /dev/sdc after 5 mins 31 secs
Oct 18 10:48:28 sd-idle-2.6[31390]: spinning up /dev/sdc after 13 mins

But the HDD in the external case is spinning even after a spindown was reported in the syslog. What could be wrong? Help!

Last edited:
3.0.0.4.376.2769?

I just got the AC87U and it upgraded to 2769. Am I okay downgrading to 3.0.0.4_376.47, which is based on 2678? Or should I wait for an update?

Thanks for all your amazing work!

Hi,

does spin-down work correctly in this release? I imagine, that my USB-HDD (2.5" 1TB Seagate ST1000LM024 in Inateck USB 3.0 HDD case, mounted as /dev/sdc1 on /tmp/mnt/Volume type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)) doesn't spin down although following settings:

Spindown support depends on the disk controller used by the USB enclosure as well as the firmware of the hard disk itself. Not every one of them support the spindown requests.

I just got the AC87U and it upgraded to 2769. Am I okay downgrading to 3.0.0.4_376.47, which is based on 2678? Or should I wait for an update?

Thanks for all your amazing work!

376.47 works fine in general, there is little changes in 2769.

slow USB 3 speeds :((

sorry guys, i know this has been discussed over and over..just can't figure it out

wired download speeds from my nas caps at max 25 MB/s..no idea why..
bought new HDD that pushes 130MB/s when conected directly to my laptop..

i remembered it briefly went to 50MB/s when i initially tested (LAN) but since then..it's been slower

also ..i'm getting no faster than 15MB/s over wifi (5Ghz connection)..

something to do with USB 3 recognized as usb 2?
any other suggestions? wisdom?

thanks so much..(becomin a bit obsessed with this :( )

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!