What's new

[Beta-release] AiMesh Phase2 beta test for RT-AC68U and first beta for BlueCave

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Would you mind trying a fresh start on your node? Can you remove it from AiMesh and reset it and attempt to add/pair it again? A few of us haven't been able to... Thanks.
ok, tried it and it didn't work. Going back to stable firmware I guess.

Tested with 68U-beta1716 and 86U-20942 both constallations parent/node and vice versa:
First meshed than update 20942->1716.
Now it works even with ethernet backhaul, but no differences to both units on 20942.
Despite 86U-20648 did not work for me and lost connection going offline.
Findings: 2G channels according to 68U setting, but on 5G my 86U only used 149-161, so mixed channels used and less Tx-power on 86U, for sure a region/country issue.

Last edited:
AiMesh
Main: rt-68u
Node1: rt-68r
Node2: rt-1900

Test 1: Main on 1718, Nodes on 20942 … More reliable AiMesh. No random disconnects which I had seen on my all 20942 system.
Test 2: All on 1718... Even more reliable AiMesh. Stronger 5g signal seen, signal was tested at both nodes.

Good work.

AiMesh
Main: rt-68u
Node1: rt-68r
Node2: rt-1900

Test 1: Main on 1718, Nodes on 20942 … More reliable AiMesh. No random disconnects which I had seen on my all 20942 system.
Test 2: All on 1718... Even more reliable AiMesh. Stronger 5g signal seen, signal was tested at both nodes.

Good work.

i am having other troubles getting my 68u to function as an aimesh node but the 'installation process' on the host router (86u) to install the software to the 68u was MUCH faster; like less than 10 seconds.

Check that you actually installed the new firmware. My update to the new firmware was just as slow as before. It still took the full three minutes, plus a manual reboot of the node/router before it became reliable.

i can see the new firmware version on the 68u when i look at the UX

eta: i should point out i'm talking about when i go to "do you want to add aimesh node" in the UX when attempting to add the 68u as an aimesh node in my 86u, not the firmware installation process on the 68u from the beta firmware itself.

2 different things.

86U should be on 20942 now (just let itself search and update)!

if it doesnt count up to 75 or 90 slow and only last % fast it wont connect.

boo. ok i'll downgrade the 68u back to 20942 because its definitely counting up much faster than it did before.

for the record, it was slow up to 75 before then the last 25 was fast but i still got a 'cannot add node' error (see my other thread on this below). with the new firmware it counts quickly from 0 - 100.

Did a manual upgrade:
- first for the node
- then for the master
Both upgrades showed the same behaviour: about 2 seconds per %-step from 0 to 100%.

So far no issues. I am listening to streaming radio all day while going around the house and garden (for today I had switched off the EnGenius AP). Seamless handover from master to the node (and to Vodafone when wifi signal dropped too far below).

Keep using this system for the time being.

Will this firmware enable (in beta) AIMesh on the Asus Blue Cave? Can't find details on that + Asus Benelux just mailed me that the blue cave will not receive AImesh capability.

Will this firmware enable (in beta) AIMesh on the Asus Blue Cave? Can't find details on that + Asus Benelux just mailed me that the blue cave will not receive AImesh capability.

Yes, this is beta firmware with AiMesh enabled on Blue Cave.

I decided to live on wild side and try installing beta phase 2 (BP2). I installed BP2 on 68 as a node, (my main router is a AC86U), then thought a refresh and repairing of the node would be a good thing. But this didn't work, no way to make a node with BP2. So, I reinstalled 21045. Then created/paired the node. Then installed Bp2 as a node (and left it at that).

I've rebooted it a few times and the node info seems to stick, plus, in my limited testing, it seems a little more stable. Also, the Smart connect appears to be working (1 SSID and my devices that have 2.4 & 5 are connecting to the node at 5 and devices that only have 2.4 are connecting at 2.4).
The signal is flashing telling me that there is a firmware upgrade so apparently it doesn't recognize that beta with a 9.0.0 is higher that a 3.0.0.

I decided to try the 68 phase 2 beta on the pair of RT-AC66U B1's I have running in Mesh. It's been very stable over the last 2 weeks. No problems.

I'll only note one thing. The RAM use has been slowly creeping northward. Up from 50% to 61% over 2 weeks. My guess is it might take at least 3-4 more weeks before it might start to show symptoms, and it's likely it'll get rebooted before that.

Excellent work!

I decided to try the 68 phase 2 beta on the pair of RT-AC66U B1's I have running in Mesh. It's been very stable over the last 2 weeks. No problems.

I'll only note one thing. The RAM use has been slowly creeping northward. Up from 50% to 61% over 2 weeks. My guess is it might take at least 3-4 more weeks before it might start to show symptoms, and it's likely it'll get rebooted before that.

Excellent work!

Thanks your test, Can you send feedback with system log, wifi log by feedback function ? Please tag your post URL@SNB.

Current set-up:
AiMesh Router - RT-AC68U, HW=A2, CFE=1.0.2.1 (firmware 9.0.0.4.384_1716).
AiMesh Node - RT-AC68U, HW=A2, CFE=1.0.2.1 (firmware 9.0.0.4.384_1716).

When having set-up a guest network it is not being transferred to the node. WiFiAnalyzer only shows the guest network on the signal of the master.
I did a restart for both AC68U units (power cycle) but no improvements.

Please solve this with high prio!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Long time no see~~~

Thanks for using ASUS AiMesh, and we keep moving forward, here are the Phase 2 beta release:
Here are links to AiMesh Phase 2 beta:

******Do remember! This is beta version, might still have some bugs******

RT-AC68U
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B316542/?tag=snbforums-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB45SI4/?tag=snbforums-20

Firmware:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qKuLt5QCJiv9r4xvJlkkHQTNkrvMbYFD/view?usp=sharing

Release note:
- Support Ethernet onboarding (the mesh node search will find Ethernet nodes)
- The wireless schedule could be synchronized of all nodes.
- Support smart-connect rules on nodes. (both dual-band and tri-band) (RT-AC68U series have no smart connect)
- Synchronizing wireless professional settings to nodes.
- Synchronizing schedule reboot to all nodes.
- Synchronizing WPS settings to all nodes. (only enable and disable, this action will not sync trigger).
- Synchronizing region selection to all nodes. (Be noted: this function ONLY works under all nodes were bought in the same region, manual change won't help)
- Now you can use Gmail to do feedback.

***I know you guys will ask for other models,will have, but let's focus on RT-AC68U first.
*** Also, this beta is for 68U, we suggest do not mix model for this first beta. (but if you want to try, just go ahead.)

ASUS BlueCave - The world first Wireless router with a hole on it!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cave-Dual-Band-Technology-AiProtection/product-reviews/B078TGQ99B

Firmware
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y81rV1Lz5ogLt15GUbzu3i-V3UVhAfZN/view?usp=sharing

Release note: first release
* Known issue: still have some OOM issues, if you encounter, please reboot it manually.

Wilson, I have helped to stabilize the AiMesh firmware in the past few months. So if you start to work on new features for devices: RT-AC88U and RT-AC86U, I can help to test with detailed bug reports. I have AiMesh running in 3 nodes: 2x88U and 1x86U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!