What's new

[Beta-release] AiMesh Phase2 beta test for RT-AC68U and first beta for BlueCave

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@BradsterACT - Could you tell me which firmware version you are using to get Aimesh working on your DSL-AC68U? Ive tried everything down to rebuilding the RT-AC68U firmware to make the DSL-AC68U think its an RT (I use a fibre modem nowadays so no need for DSL), but I've never managed to get my DSL successfully linked as an Aimesh node (by my RT-AC88U which is an Aimesh router). I dont think I've attempted using the DSL as the Aimesh router though, and I've seen elsewhere that an official aimesh release for the DSL is meant to be imminent, but Id still be very interested to know what you are running on yours to get it working as an Aimesh router.

@BradsterACT - Could you tell me which firmware version you are using to get Aimesh working on your DSL-AC68U? Ive tried everything down to rebuilding the RT-AC68U firmware to make the DSL-AC68U think its an RT (I use a fibre modem nowadays so no need for DSL), but I've never managed to get my DSL successfully linked as an Aimesh node (by my RT-AC88U which is an Aimesh router). I dont think I've attempted using the DSL as the Aimesh router though, and I've seen elsewhere that an official aimesh release for the DSL is meant to be imminent, but Id still be very interested to know what you are running on yours to get it working as an Aimesh router.
I know nothing about the DSL-AC68U, but if you only want to flash RT-AC68U firmware and use it as a repeater, did you try changing the model id in the CFE?
model=RT-AC68U
odmpid=RT-AC68U​
Then clear nvram and try installing the firmware manually.

Thanks Ronald - I think I effectively did roughly the same thing by modifying and rebuilding the nvram utility to override the odmpid and productid and anything else with DSL-AC68U in it. Although it looked and quacked exactly like an RT model after that and even got discovered as an Aimesh node, i was never able to get the Aimesh Router to actually connect to it. I will investigate how to modify the model parameters in the CFE though - I didn't know that was possible - and that wouldn't restrict me to the older versions of firmware for which there is source. I have read of others having similar problems with officially supported Aimesh router models though, so my problem may actually be nothing to do with the fact that its a DSL.

The dsl versions are supposed to have official AI Mesh at the end of the month around June 27th...which isnt far away. I would hold off for that.

I wouldnt recommend doing what i did. (RT CFE and Rt firmware beta from this thread) The DSL doesnt have a primary wan so some functions (dual wan wans you to select always primary wan) dont work quite right as would be expected.

Last edited:
AiMesh
Main: rt-68u
Node1: rt-68r
Node2: rt-1900

Test 1: Main on 1718, Nodes on 20942 … More reliable AiMesh. No random disconnects which I had seen on my all 20942 system.
Test 2: All on 1718... Even more reliable AiMesh. Stronger 5g signal seen, signal was tested at both nodes.

Good work.
Hi, I bought 2 pcs,rt-68u,which I have installed with my parents house , one im using as the main router in the living room and the last rt-68u im using in the garage hardwired from living room to the mesh node i the garage, what firmware do you recommend I should use and which settings are good?my dad says that he is not stable on his mobile when he is in the sleeping room, so do you have some settings and which firmware is stable, could youu send me links on which firmware i should use that is stable?which channels ?and roamin assistant i have on -55 on 2.4ghz and -70 on 5ghz,im using channel 11 on 2.4 ghz and 36 on 5ghz and i have turned of wps,and on 2.4ghz im using 20mhz channel bandwidth and on,5ghz im using 80mhz.
My Dad has 100/100, and no neighbors.
I'm going home to him this week and trying to change firmware and make some adjustments, so I need some help. The only thing he complains about is that his mobile is unstable on facebook and the mobile is slow on the internet in his beedroom, he says.
I se you have tested Test 2: All on 1718 where can i find link to this firmware?

Hi Everyone,

Long time no see~~~

Thanks for using ASUS AiMesh, and we keep moving forward, here are the Phase 2 beta release:
Here are links to AiMesh Phase 2 beta:

******Do remember! This is beta version, might still have some bugs******

RT-AC68U
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B316542/?tag=snbforums-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB45SI4/?tag=snbforums-20

Firmware:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qKuLt5QCJiv9r4xvJlkkHQTNkrvMbYFD/view?usp=sharing

Release note:
- Support Ethernet onboarding (the mesh node search will find Ethernet nodes)
- The wireless schedule could be synchronized of all nodes.
- Support smart-connect rules on nodes. (both dual-band and tri-band) (RT-AC68U series have no smart connect)
- Synchronizing wireless professional settings to nodes.
- Synchronizing schedule reboot to all nodes.
- Synchronizing WPS settings to all nodes. (only enable and disable, this action will not sync trigger).
- Synchronizing region selection to all nodes. (Be noted: this function ONLY works under all nodes were bought in the same region, manual change won't help)
- Now you can use Gmail to do feedback.

***I know you guys will ask for other models,will have, but let's focus on RT-AC68U first.
*** Also, this beta is for 68U, we suggest do not mix model for this first beta. (but if you want to try, just go ahead.)

ASUS BlueCave - The world first Wireless router with a hole on it!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cave-Dual-Band-Technology-AiProtection/product-reviews/B078TGQ99B

Firmware
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y81rV1Lz5ogLt15GUbzu3i-V3UVhAfZN/view?usp=sharing

Release note: first release
* Known issue: still have some OOM issues, if you encounter, please reboot it manually.
Hi Wilson,
Isn't it time for an updated version (hopefully with guest-network support)?

Took a chance and flash my working 4 AC68U Aimesh setup. May be I have missed it, the 3 nodes did not get upgraded with flashing of the AImesh hub/router. I had to flash/upload the firmware to the nodes one at a time.
The setup is working now. Will see.

DSL-AC68U version of AI mesh firmware pushed back to 06-07-18 per UK Sentinel who has been in touch with DSL team...hopefully AI mesh beta2 will be finished by then and incorperated.

correct only 1716.

Thanks, BTW, for those that have been on past betas, what is the protocol for issuing newer versions? How will we know when a newer version of the beta is out?

Also, will the next version of the stock firmware include these Phase 2 beta updates or will the beta still be more advanced than the stock (i.e., how will we know when it's time to switch from beta to stock).

Thanks

you can read it here if someone will post a beta, but really no need for it, only test versions for special purposes. Phase 2 will come when its finished ...
There is another beta 21071 if you like to test, but no phase 2 too.

Trying again with 3 ac86u, very stable and with a HUUUUUUUUUUGE signal around the house

20180627_161427.jpg

Trying again with 3 ac86u, very stable and with a HUUUUUUUUUUGE signal around the house
Maybe you have not noticed, but the topic only applies to RT-AC68U and BlueCave.

So when will this go to RC?

Will it work with RT-AC3100 Router and RT-AC68U nodes if the router is on 20145 f/w as it doesn't seem this Phase 2 beta is for that model, only the 68U?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!