What's new

[Beta-release] AiMesh Phase2 beta test for RT-AC68U and first beta for BlueCave

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looks like 3.0.0.4.384.32799 has a fix for Wifi Stability issue for other Router models. Look forward to see it released for Blue Cave :)

Looks like 3.0.0.4.384.32799 has a fix for Wifi Stability issue for other Router models. Look forward to see it released for Blue Cave :)

Blue Cave ave doesn't need these fixed patches.:)

Blue Cave ave doesn't need these fixed patches.:)
Thanks, Good to know, then the WiFi stability issue that my daughter is facing may be due to the AiMesh Node (RT-AC68R 3.0.0.4.384_32738) ... I have sent feedback yesterday from Blue Cave AiMesh Router GUI.

Thanks, Good to know, then the WiFi stability issue that my daughter is facing may be due to the AiMesh Node (RT-AC68R 3.0.0.4.384_32738) ... I have sent feedback yesterday from Blue Cave AiMesh Router GUI.

Update to 32799 in RT-AC68R.

Day 4, the issue still happened? We will try to duplicate it.
On beta fw schedule work ok until i downgrade to official fw for 68u (738) then today morning 5GHz is off. I upgrade my 68u to 3.0.0.4.384.32799 and test again.

Day 4, the issue still happened? We will try to duplicate it.

Wifi scheduling still not working since my last message.
Is turned on & Router has not been rebooted.
I’m sure it would work again for a few days if I rebooted........

A work around would be to schedule reboots, but last time I tried that, it too got tired & stopped working after a few days. (I haven’t retried it for some months though).

Update to 32799 in RT-AC68R.

Thanks,
Running 2 days without Wifi stability issues
AiMesh Router (Blue Cave - FW: 3.0.0.4.384.32546)
AiMesh Node (RT-AC68R - FW: 3.0.0.4.384.32799)
with Ethernet Backhaul.

Thanks,
Running 2 days without Wifi stability issues
AiMesh Router (Blue Cave - FW: 3.0.0.4.384.32546)
AiMesh Node (RT-AC68R - FW: 3.0.0.4.384.32799)
with Ethernet Backhaul.

Hi LimJK
I have the same routers (blue cave and RT-ac68r) I set up the blue cave as main router and ac68r as the node. The blue cave is connected to the modem downstairs and the 68r i have it in my room upstairs. I am having an issue where i connect the 68r as a node and the speeds are really slow in my room ( I have a 150 mbps service and i get 10-15 mbps in my room ) , when i disconnect the node and stay only with the main router downstairs (blue cave) the connection seems more stable and i get around 50mbps upstairs. My question is are you experiencing a similar connection problem with your routers? do you have them set up with dual SSIDs or are you using smart connect? I purchased the blue cave to have good connection with AIMESH using the 68r as node but it seems the AIMESH is not working properly and the speeds is really slow. Any input would be appreciate it
Thanks

try different position of your node outside your room and nearer to the bluecave so that your 68r is somewhere between bluecave and your clients).

Hi LimJK
I have the same routers (blue cave and RT-ac68r) I set up the blue cave as main router and ac68r as the node. The blue cave is connected to the modem downstairs and the 68r i have it in my room upstairs. I am having an issue where i connect the 68r as a node and the speeds are really slow in my room ( I have a 150 mbps service and i get 10-15 mbps in my room ) , when i disconnect the node and stay only with the main router downstairs (blue cave) the connection seems more stable and i get around 50mbps upstairs. My question is are you experiencing a similar connection problem with your routers? do you have them set up with dual SSIDs or are you using smart connect? I purchased the blue cave to have good connection with AIMESH using the 68r as node but it seems the AIMESH is not working properly and the speeds is really slow. Any input would be appreciate it
Thanks

Wire a PC to your modem, then router, then node and compare speedtest.net results. This will benchmark your wired speeds. You should expect ~150 Mbps on all three connections, assuming Gigabit Ethernet connections and a decent 5.0 GHz wireless ac backhaul.

Then wirelessly connect a PC to your router WiFi, then node WiFi and compare speedtest.net results. Also confirm the PC WiFi connection status... what band (2.4 or 5.0), protocol (n or ac), and link rate speed (~72, 150; 433, 866 Mbps). If your Wifi connection link rate speed is not maxed out for the given WiFi connection protocol and number of PC antennas/streams, then maybe you are connecting to a more remote/less strong or interfered signal. This will benchmark your wireless speeds.

If you perform your own tests with your own devices, consider the same parameters in order to make any sense of it.

OE

Last edited:
Wire a PC to your modem, then router, then node and compare speedtest.net results. This will benchmark your wired speeds. You should expect ~150 Mbps on all three connections, assuming Gigabit Ethernet connections and a decent 5.0 GHz wireless ac backhaul.

Then wirelessly connect a PC to your router WiFi, then node WiFi and compare speedtest.net results. Also confirm the PC WiFi connection status... what band (2.4 or 5.0), protocol (n or ac), and link rate speed (~72, 150; 433, 866 Mbps). If your Wifi connection link rate speed is not maxed out for the given WiFi connection protocol and number of PC antennas/streams, then maybe you are connecting to a more remote/less strong or interfered signal. This will benchmark your wireless speeds.

If you perform your own tests with your own devices, consider the same parameters in order to make any sense of it.

OE
Thank you , does the 68r support smart connect? or still does not?

I believe no AC1900 build supports Smart Connect, so no.

So, you should setup separate SSIDs for each band and then only connect your device to the preferred band to avoid having it use a lessor band connection... manual node band steering. Basically, this means you'll connect to ssid-50 in the house, and forego using ssid-24 at distance like out in the yard; otherwise, your device may stick to ssid-24 inside the house when you don't want it to. This is why Smart Connect node band steering with a single SSID is better.... when it works, which it seems to.

Enable Roaming Assistant node steering to encouage your device to connect to the closest node. Enable Smart Connect node band steering to encouage your device to connect to the preferred node band. Maybe your room device is sticking to your downstairs router 2.4 GHz band...

OE

Last edited:
I believe no AC1900 build supports Smart Connect, so no.

So, you should setup separate SSIDs for each band and then only connect your device to the preferred band to avoid having it use a lessor band connection... manual node band steering. Basically, this means you'll connect to ssid-50 in the house, and forego using ssid-24 at distance like out in the yard; otherwise, your device may stick to ssid-24 inside the house when you don't want it to. This is why Smart Connect node band steering with a single SSID is better.... when it works, which it seems to.

OE
Thank you , one last question if i set up the main router (blue cave) with 2 SSIDS for different bands , can i set up the node (68r) to pick just one SSID? if so where in the settings do I set that?. Also it seems the issue i am having is that when i connect the node upstairs the device keeps connected to the blue cave downstairs instead of the one closer to me. (have to turn off wifi and turn it back on again so it will connect). Still i have to find out why my speed drops so low using the node with aimesh and why my speed is way better by just using the blue cave. I just want to increase the speed upstairs with an stable connection. I watch a lot of netflix and my wife uses her ipad and sometimes the connections freezes when watching netflix

no, 68U wont get SmartConnect afaik (to old hardware or to much work for Asus), at least there must be reasons to buy newer routers, who should if they put all features on older and cheaper devices too?

Thank you , one last question if i set up the main router (blue cave) with 2 SSIDS for different bands , can i set up the node (68r) to pick just one SSID? if so where in the settings do I set that?. Also it seems the issue i am having is that when i connect the node upstairs the device keeps connected to the blue cave downstairs instead of the one closer to me. (have to turn off wifi and turn it back on again so it will connect). Still i have to find out why my speed drops so low using the node with aimesh and why my speed is way better by just using the blue cave. I just want to increase the speed upstairs with an stable connection. I watch a lot of netflix and my wife uses her ipad and sometimes the connections freezes when watching netflix

Review my posts here since I've made some minor edits.

AiMesh router SSIDs will propagate to all nodes.

AiMesh will manage the wireless backhauls.

A wireless client chooses from its own connections, subject to AiMesh node and node band steering.

Get your network setup according to plan, first. Then evaluate network performance/speeds. Then debug any remaining client performance issues. You have to divide and conquer in order; otherwise, you'll never isolate cause and affect. Start at the beginning and work it through, one step at a time.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!