What's new

[Beta-release] AiMesh Phase2 beta test for RT-AC68U and first beta for BlueCave

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks for the clear answer, its a pity that 68U wont get smart connect support in Aimesh.

Many of us got one as most sold router and want to reuse them with Aimesh and a new router as main-router which supports smart connect.

Are there any future plans to support smart connect on 68U if used within Aimesh as node?

It's still under internal discussion for 68U with Smart Connect supported.

@arthurlien
if
- Synchronizing wireless professional settings to nodes.
working in this fw, then my 68U sometimes not start 5GHz band, no 5GHz Led (i have set wireles scheduler for 2,4 and 5GHz band)
If you disable WiFi schedule, does the issue still happened?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z01RD 發送

If you disable WiFi schedule, does the issue still happened?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z01RD 發送
i will try, but wifi schedule not work corectly also in 86u. Today both radios not start at 7AM (in schedule i set this time to start radios), in wifi log i see radios disabled.

so let us hope, please ask your technicians and marketing to support it - thanks!

Marketing already supports Smart Connect on the AC1900/68U... their deceit is all over the ASUS AiMesh/product web pages.

+1 for your green dino. :)

OE

It's still under internal discussion for 68U with Smart Connect supported.

If I'm not mistaken, Smart Connect requires an upgrade to the Broadcom SDK, so it's probably not something trivial to do.

Just to report, with RT-AC88U as main router and Blue Cave as mesh node, things are working flawlessly since a week on the latest official (Non-Beta) firmware. No devices have been kicked out or the network has not vanished or any sort of funny business. It has given reception to areas which were dead zones like toilets. I use ethernet onboarding by connecting LAN port of RT-AC88U and WAN port of Blue Cave. Both the routers were updated to latest Aug firmware and set up after performing factory reset. No wifi settings were touched and Blue Cave was added to mesh node from ASUS Router app.

The only caveat is that this Asus Mesh does not assign optimal connection speeds quickly. For example, when my Google Pixel 2 will be in front of RT-AC88U, it will show 833 Mbps connected speed. Then if I carry it to other room where it is in front of Blue Cave, it will still remain connected to AC88U and show a connection speed of 90 Mbps. Now ideally I expect it to connect to Blue Cave but it doesn't. Only rarely if I am lucky, it will connect to Blue Cave at full 833 Mbps.
I also tried to turn off it's wifi and on turning it back on, it still connected to AC88U situated far away with 90 Mbps even with Blue Cave in front of it.

If this way ASUS Mesh is supposed to work and not as per what I expected, then this whole mesh thing is pure horse crap.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Smart Connect requires an upgrade to the Broadcom SDK, so it's probably not something trivial to do.
There are several ways to add Smart Connect. So it's still under internal discussion.

Just to report, with RT-AC88U as main router and Blue Cave as mesh node, things are working flawlessly since a week on the latest official (Non-Beta) firmware. No devices have been kicked out or the network has not vanished or any sort of funny business. It has given reception to areas which were dead zones like toilets. I use ethernet onboarding by connecting LAN port of RT-AC88U and WAN port of Blue Cave. Both the routers were updated to latest Aug firmware and set up after performing factory reset. No wifi settings were touched and Blue Cave was added to mesh node from ASUS Router app.

The only caveat is that this Asus Mesh does not assign optimal connection speeds quickly. For example, when my Google Pixel 2 will be in front of RT-AC88U, it will show 833 Mbps connected speed. Then if I carry it to other room where it is in front of Blue Cave, it will still remain connected to AC88U and show a connection speed of 90 Mbps. Now ideally I expect it to connect to Blue Cave but it doesn't. Only rarely if I am lucky, it will connect to Blue Cave at full 833 Mbps.
I also tried to turn off it's wifi and on turning it back on, it still connected to AC88U situated far away with 90 Mbps even with Blue Cave in front of it.

If this way ASUS Mesh is supposed to work and not as per what I expected, then this whole mesh thing is pure horse crap.

Could you send feedback with system log, wifi log by Administration -> Feedback?

i will try, but wifi schedule not work corectly also in 86u. Today both radios not start at 7AM (in schedule i set this time to start radios), in wifi log i see radios disabled.

Scheduling, both of wifi, & of reboot, has been unreliable in OE & Merlin firmware for a long while now..........

Scheduling, both of wifi, & of reboot, has been unreliable in OE & Merlin firmware for a long while now..........

Hi Treadler,
I tested two RT-AC86U as AiMesh Router and AiMesh Node. The WiFi schedule function works normally. My test firmware is 3.0.0.4.384.32797.
Could you send feedback with system log, wifi log and Configuration file by Administration -> Feedback function?

Hi Treadler,
I tested two RT-AC86U as AiMesh Router and AiMesh Node. The WiFi schedule function works normally. My test firmware is 3.0.0.4.384.32797.
Could you send feedback with system log, wifi log and Configuration file by Administration -> Feedback function?
for my 86u this not work normally, but its not always, sometime work ok for week or longer, but sometiome wifi not start one per week or shorter. I send info by feedback function many times on earlier fw.
I have schedule for both band, use dual wan function (also not work correctly)

Last edited:
I must admit, I have not used scheduling for some months now. I gave up on it, due to intermittent failures.
Perhaps now is the time to retry it, to see if it’s reliable?
Watch this space, it may take a week or so........

(Thank you for your attention to this Mr Lien).

Hi Treadler,

Ok, I turned on wifi scheduling. It worked 3 times. (3 days).
Day 4, nothing happened, wifi just stayed on. Nothing in log.
(I’m running Merlin, based on 21152?).
I’ve had the same experience using Asus OE firmware in the past. Works for a while, then gets tired & just stops. ;-)

Hi Treadler,

Me again.
Second trial of wifi scheduling.
Rebooted router, then scheduling worked twice (2 days) then gave up. Wifi just remains on now.
Go figure? ;-)

Arthur,

I recently bought the Blue Cave (3.0.0.4.384_32546 as AiMesh Router) with an old RT-AC68R (3.0.0.4.384_32738 as AiMesh Node) for my daughter's home. She discovered WiFi instability only after she got alert warning from her mobile operator that she had exceeded her cellular usage data, when she is at home most of the time looking after her babies.

I have just sent feedback a few minutes ago. Hope it gets fixed soon. Thank you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!