What's new

[Beta-release] AiMesh Phase2 beta test for RT-AC68U and first beta for BlueCave

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Still thinking about whether I should get an RT-AC86U as main router and the Blue Cave as node, or just use two Blue Caves.

Access the WebUI in your AiMesh Router

Network Map -> AiMesh Nodes -> Click a Node -> Select More Config
Decided to order an AC86U as main router and use the Blue Cave as node. Thanks for letting me know that I can disable the light (or at least dim) on the Blue Cave.

Decided to order an AC86U as main router and use the Blue Cave as node. Thanks for letting me know that I can disable the light (or at least dim) on the Blue Cave.
Unfortunately the AC86U appeared to be performing very badly on signal strength and wifi speeds compared to my old R7000. It was set up in the same location and tested on the same devices in the same spots. Returning them both on Monday.

Unfortunately the AC86U appeared to be performing very badly on signal strength and wifi speeds compared to my old R7000. It was set up in the same location and tested on the same devices in the same spots. Returning them both on Monday.

Have you upgraded the FW to newest one?

Have you upgraded the FW to newest one?
So, I decided the router was not gonna get the better of me. Unboxed it again. Reset everything. Update the firmware. Did the initial setup again. Disabled smart connect so I could set the same channels as I use on the Netgear R7000. Checked, doublechecked. Hooked up the internet and LAN cables.

Did a test with visual contact with the AC86U: at 1, 3, 5 and 10 meters. Maximum speed I got was average 40 Mbps, and at 5-10 meters it even struggled to connect at all.
Hooked up the Netgear again: average speed 100 Mbps, even 80+ Mbps at 10 meters.

It must be a defective router, but the shop won't exchange it (and I am not going through a repair process), or this product is just major flawed.

Last edited:
Will try to elaborate a bit but it all comes down to trial and error and your unique location specifics to get it right.

So my network is the network named "network5ghz_optout". One node is located in the basement and the other in the attic.

The nodes are connected via UTP. This is essential as extending the signal based on a wifi connection between nodes will not allow you to create a "hand over gap". A hand over gap is a spot where there is a reasonable difference in signal strength between your nodes. If choose to use wifi to connect the nodes you will need a decent signal between the nodes in order to have smooth experience. But if you have a decent signal at the location of the second note that kinda makes the whole Aimesh experience useless as the space between the 2 nodes as equal coverage from both nodes.

Also do note that the lower your signal value the better the signal (e.g. a -68 is a stronger signal than -76 signal)

So in my house, at spot no 1 (living room) you see that the signal strength is of my basement node is -68 and my attic node is -76
View attachment 13892

At sport n0 2 (first floor / handover location) you notice that my basement node is now broadcasting at -74 and the attic node is broadcasting at -62. Hence I want my device to switch from the basement node to the attic node.

View attachment 13893

In order to force this switch between nodes I have set my handover value at -68.

View attachment 13894

At first I had this value at -70 but I noticed a handover value of -68 resulted in a more smooth experience.

Great Post!

I have a Ac5300 as my main router and two nodes, Ac1900p and a Ac3100. They are hardwired to the main router, I have two on the first floor and the 1900p on the second floor, what’s a good way to determine what’s a good handoff for roaming assistance to take over smoothly?

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thank you very much

Thank you

Unpinning this thread since newer public firmware are now available.

where Phase2 is avaible ?

where Phase2 is avaible ?

- Support Ethernet onboarding (the mesh node search will find Ethernet nodes)
- The wireless schedule could be synchronized of all nodes.
- Support smart-connect rules on nodes. (both dual-band and tri-band) (RT-AC68U series have no smart connect)
- Synchronizing wireless professional settings to nodes.
- Synchronizing schedule reboot to all nodes.
- Synchronizing WPS settings to all nodes. (only enable and disable, this action will not sync trigger).
- Synchronizing region selection to all nodes. (Be noted: this function ONLY works under all nodes were bought in the same region, manual change won't help)
- Now you can use Gmail to do feedback.

- Support smart-connect rules on nodes. (both dual-band and tri-band) (RT-AC68U series have no smart connect)
- Synchronizing WPS settings to all nodes. (only enable and disable, this action will not sync trigger).
- Synchronizing region selection to all nodes. (Be noted: this function ONLY works under all nodes were bought in the same region, manual change won't help)

Arthurlien,

May I know your release notes is for which Router (?) Thanks.

On the official website I can only see the following for BlueCave and RT-AC68U

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32546
2018/07/1036.25 MBytes
ASUS Blue Cave Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32546
New feature:
AiMesh, an innovative new router feature that connects multiple ASUS routers to create a whole-home Wi-Fi network. Refer to https://www.asus.com/aimesh/ for more detail.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 0C3406256FD38D3BC2E353F2F84D749A

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32738
2018/08/1542.54 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32738
AiMesh new features
- Supported creating mesh system with new router, BlueCave.
- Added Roaming block list in Advanced Settings --> Wireless.
You can add devices into block list and this device will not be roamed between AiMesh nodes.
- Supported ethernet onboarding. User can use ethernet cable.
You can use ethernet cable to connect AiMesh router LAN port and AiMesh node WAN port first and run the adding node process to build the mesh system.
Security fixes.
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed CSRF vulnerability.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow vulnerability.
Thanks for Rick Ramgattie contribution.
Fixed USB hard drive over 2TB compatibility issues.
Fixed Samba/FTP folder permission issues.
Added USB3.0/2.0 mode switch setting in Administration --> System --> USB Settings.

MD5: 665734b95c47f43c53804ca0c574013f

What does this mean?

a) Smart connect will now be expanded to nodes even if they itself doesnt support smart connect like 68U -> 68U used as node will get smart connect now if main router (86U) supports it
b) Smart connect priviously supported only on main router, and now nodes can use it too if they itselft support smart connect -> 68U as node still has no smart connect and used as main the whole Aimesh wont support Aimesh

What does this mean?

a) Smart connect will now be expanded to nodes even if they itself doesnt support smart connect like 68U -> 68U used as node will get smart connect now if main router (86U) supports it
b) Smart connect priviously supported only on main router, and now nodes can use it too if they itselft support smart connect -> 68U as node still has no smart connect and used as main the whole Aimesh wont support Aimesh

RT-AC68U don't support Smart Connect functionality. Even you used any model with Smart Connect Capability supported as the main router, RT-AC68 still can't support Smart Connect.

Apply Smart Connect Rule to the Node.

upload_2018-9-10_15-33-27.png

Arthurlien,

May I know your release notes is for which Router (?) Thanks.

On the official website I can only see the following for BlueCave and RT-AC68U

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32546
2018/07/1036.25 MBytes
ASUS Blue Cave Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32546
New feature:
AiMesh, an innovative new router feature that connects multiple ASUS routers to create a whole-home Wi-Fi network. Refer to https://www.asus.com/aimesh/ for more detail.

MD5: 0C3406256FD38D3BC2E353F2F84D749A

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32738
2018/08/1542.54 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32738
AiMesh new features
- Supported creating mesh system with new router, BlueCave.
- Added Roaming block list in Advanced Settings --> Wireless.
You can add devices into block list and this device will not be roamed between AiMesh nodes.
- Supported ethernet onboarding. User can use ethernet cable.
You can use ethernet cable to connect AiMesh router LAN port and AiMesh node WAN port first and run the adding node process to build the mesh system.
Security fixes.
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed CSRF vulnerability.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow vulnerability.
Thanks for Rick Ramgattie contribution.
Fixed USB hard drive over 2TB compatibility issues.
Fixed Samba/FTP folder permission issues.
Added USB3.0/2.0 mode switch setting in Administration --> System --> USB Settings.

MD5: 665734b95c47f43c53804ca0c574013f

We don't write every item in the release note.

RT-AC68U don't support Smart Connect functionality. Even you used any model with Smart Connect Capability supported as the main router, RT-AC68 still can't support Smart Connect.

Apply Smart Connect Rule to the Node.

View attachment 14365
thanks for the clear answer, its a pity that 68U wont get smart connect support in Aimesh.

Many of us got one as most sold router and want to reuse them with Aimesh and a new router as main-router which supports smart connect.

Are there any future plans to support smart connect on 68U if used within Aimesh as node?

@arthurlien
if
working in this fw, then my 68U sometimes not start 5GHz band, no 5GHz Led (i have set wireles scheduler for 2,4 and 5GHz band)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!