What's new

[Beta-release] AiMesh Phase2 beta test for RT-AC68U and first beta for BlueCave

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wilson_Deng

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone,

Long time no see~~~

Thanks for using ASUS AiMesh, and we keep moving forward, here are the Phase 2 beta release:
Here are links to AiMesh Phase 2 beta:

******Do remember! This is beta version, might still have some bugs******

RT-AC68U
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B316542/?tag=snbforums-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB45SI4/?tag=snbforums-20

Firmware:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qKuLt5QCJiv9r4xvJlkkHQTNkrvMbYFD/view?usp=sharing

Release note:
- Support Ethernet onboarding (the mesh node search will find Ethernet nodes)
- The wireless schedule could be synchronized of all nodes.
- Support smart-connect rules on nodes. (both dual-band and tri-band) (RT-AC68U series have no smart connect)
- Synchronizing wireless professional settings to nodes.
- Synchronizing schedule reboot to all nodes.
- Synchronizing WPS settings to all nodes. (only enable and disable, this action will not sync trigger).
- Synchronizing region selection to all nodes. (Be noted: this function ONLY works under all nodes were bought in the same region, manual change won't help)
- Now you can use Gmail to do feedback.

***I know you guys will ask for other models,will have, but let's focus on RT-AC68U first.
*** Also, this beta is for 68U, we suggest do not mix model for this first beta. (but if you want to try, just go ahead.)

ASUS BlueCave - The world first Wireless router with a hole on it!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cave-Dual-Band-Technology-AiProtection/product-reviews/B078TGQ99B

Firmware
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y81rV1Lz5ogLt15GUbzu3i-V3UVhAfZN/view?usp=sharing

Release note: first release
* Known issue: still have some OOM issues, if you encounter, please reboot it manually.

Last edited:
Can that firmware be installed in the RT-AC68R, RT-AC68P, RT-AC1900 and RT-AC900P?

Now the RT-AC68U/R/P and RT-AC1900/P supports Smart Connect?

Does Smart Connect work when the RT-AC68U is used as the main or only as a node?

Who are you?
Is it save to use this firmware?
Why is it named "only" 384.1716, shouldnt it be a much higher number at least above 20942?

Sorry for my questions, just worried a little bit.

Who are you?
Is it save to use this firmware?
Why is it named "only" 384.1716, shouldnt it be a much higher number at least above 20942?

Sorry for my questions, just worried a little bit.
Wilson Deng is the dev product manager for AiMesh (probably not the exact job title). He gets volunteers for his beta testing from SNB. We went through the same thing with the original beta. AFA safe, its a beta so expect that everything isn't perfect. You would also be expected to provide bug reports and feedback. So if that isn't acceptable, don't install.

Note: betas use a totally different release/version numbering scheme. Notice it is a 9.0.0.4 not 3.0.0.4

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the intro.

Hi Let me question,

1. Now it's mainly for RT-AC68U
2. and indeed RT-AC68U didn't support smart connect.

Thanks.

Wilson Deng is the dev product manager for AiMesh (probably not the exact job title). He gets volunteers for his beta testing from SNB. We went through the same thing with the original beta. AFA safe, its a beta so expect that everything isn't perfect. You would also be expected to provide bug reports and feedback. So if that isn't acceptable, don't install.

Note: betas use a totally different release/version numbering scheme. Notice it is a 9.0.0.4 not 3.0.0.4
Thanks for info.
I know that they begin with 9004, but from DSL-AC68U where I got many betas they counted up the end digits all the time.

So I even know that my Download Master on 86U is beta version but dont know WHY?
On 68U it says 3.1.0.104 but 86U shows Download Masterver. 9.1.0.104, both got regular asuswrt 20648.

3.0.0.4 : official release, it's mean the f/w tested by asus qualification team.
9.0.0.4 : beta release, it's mean the f/w released by asus develop team directly and it's not tested by asus qualification team

it's totally different release.

Last edited:
3.0.0.4 : official release, it's mean the f/w tested by asus qualification team.
9.0.0.4 : beta release, it's mean the f/w released by asus develop team directly and it's not tested by asus qualification team

it's totally different release.

maybe, I only know from DSL-AC68U that they used to count last 5 digits up, only 9004 at the beginning indicated beta.
And if beta was success they released it with exactly same name as 3004... which made sense to all testers.
I know that DSL are different teams and seems to act different.

But thats no explanation why my 86U uses a beta DownloadMaster ver9.1.0.104

Tried this beta now in AP-mode.

Seem to work at least as good as 20942.
Problem that I have to "service restart_httpd" still occurs sometimes after changing settings.
2.4G problems with slow and very slow (1Mbps) speeds seems to be solved at the moment.

Will test in mesh-config as soon as my 86U will get the 20942 update.

Last edited:
I tried to update my RT-AC68U nodes to this beta release and start fresh. I wasn't able to add any nodes to my RT-AC3100 AiMesh router... so then I set one of the RT-AC68U routers as the main and tried adding the others as nodes (I have 4 AC68U routers all together), but the main router would find the AiMesh nodes and attempt to pair but the percentage would increase very quickly and then fail. The routers are sitting side-by-side and were all reset by holding the WPS button.

I also didn't see any reference to the smart-connect rules like I do on my RT-AC3100. Should there be a reference in the settings or is this in the background when paired to a router that supports smart-connect?

Same here, tried to connect a 86U as node, counting up to 5% than rapidly to 100% ending with error cannot connect.
Done a initialize on 68U first.
Then just searched for 86U, second time initialized 86U too and tried untouched again, not working. Will be found but not connected.

Wilson, couple of new features sounds really good! Smart connect between 2.4 and 5 sounds sweet! And professional settings going in sync...
But questions:
- worth trying on node while router is a different model running official track?
- how the update should be performed? Erase node, install new firmware, readd the node? Or directly to a "live" node?
- did you change the logic on how a dual band channel node picks 5GHz from router?

I'm so tempted...but I need more info before risking whatever stability I have running official track... it's holidays time in Europe

I just tried it, after not working I load previous saved config and all like before. Just 10 min. testing for nothing.

Last edited:
No Guest Accounts on Nodes?

Wilson, couple of new features sounds really good! Smart connect between 2.4 and 5 sounds sweet! And professional settings going in sync...
But questions:
- worth trying on node while router is a different model running official track?
[Wilson] yes
- how the update should be performed? Erase node, install new firmware, readd the node? Or directly to a "live" node?
[Wilson] need to update each manually, you can update it in the web GUI.
- did you change the logic on how a dual band channel node picks 5GHz from router?
[Wilson] Currently not yet.

I'm so tempted...but I need more info before risking whatever stability I have running official track... it's holidays time in Europe

I uploaded the beta firmware to an active AC68U set as a node with an AC88U as the master. Seems to be working so far.

I uploaded the beta firmware to an active AC68U set as a node with an AC88U as the master. Seems to be working so far.

Would you mind trying a fresh start on your node? Can you remove it from AiMesh and reset it and attempt to add/pair it again? A few of us haven't been able to... Thanks.

@Wilson_Deng
Done some testing:

Went back on 68U to 20942 and could AiMesh as node suddenly with 86U as main-router running 20648.
So somewhat prevents in this beta my routers to load mesh in both directions (either node or main). 68U still set to region #a and 86U to Asia.

Then I could upgrade 68U to this beta and still working in meshed mode at the beginning.
But it then after longer time (15-30 min.) is loosing mesh-config at all!
Status is offline and cannot connect.
Showing different channels and default-SSID ASUS and ASUS_5G.

Guest-networks not working in this setup and active only on 86U, not seen on 68U with beta!
USB-stick on 68U-node NOT working or accessible, should have DownloadMaster running on this stick.
Other stick on 86U still ok.
So for me I cannot see any differences to 20942.

further testing:
1) Done a HW-reset of 68U with reset-button on backside (still on this beta) and directly started as mesh-node still connected (for short time).

2) removed as mesh-node without reset and searched for AiMesh devices, found 68U but cannot be connected as mesh-node again, not working like initial trials with this beta.
Went back to 20942, meshed, upgraded to this beta, all ok (for short time).

So there is a problem with this beta to build up a mesh in my config!
I could repeat this behavior with same results.

ohter thing: 86U in 2G shows 450mbps max speed, the 68U only 216mbps, usually it can 450mpbs as well!

Further problem: If I set 2,4G with 40MHz bandwith it will loose mesh-connection and AiMesh-node going offline after some time.

UPDATE:
Next testing with changed main now 86U and node 68:

with this beta I could not connect them, counting 1-10% then fast up to 100 ended with error.

back to 20942 on 68U it finish with mesh.
guest SSIDs are not shown on 86U-node
68U on ch. 36-48 but node on ch 149, not so good, some devices cannot connect on 149.
changed to 149-161, node still only on 149 with 20MHz.
Changed back 36-48 everything stopped working, had to hard-reboot.

update beta1716, no differences to 20942, same problems.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!