What's new

Guest Network wont pass DHCP address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ira

New Around Here
I just installed an RT-AC66U only router/firewall. It is blazingly fast.

I have a business domain in the house, where I have Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controllers which are also DNS and DHCP servers. The DHCP server function on the router is disabled. Everything appears to be working fine on both 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies for my internal access.

I tried to create a guest network (2.4 &/or 5) and connect with my iPad. The iPad connected to the guest network, but it was unable to get an IP address from my internal DHCP server. Is there a setting on the router to allow it to act as a DHCP Helper? Is there a setting I am missing?

The firmware is the latest ASUS production firmware, I think it is 270.

Thanks in advance,

IRA

Last edited:
I tried the same thing a few months ago.

If you have the guest SSID set up to deny access to local intranet then that also disables the guest network from accessing your DHCP server. What I ended up doing was keeping the DNS server, etc. running on the Windows Server, but using the router as the DHCP server. <-- you must disable the DHCP server process on the Windows Server or you will run into problems down the road, Windows Server disables DHCP if another DHCP server is found, but if something happens it could start back up and start confusing devices.

I do not see any settings for RIP, etc. allowing the router & server to share DHCP responsibilities. (Running Merlin 270.24).

If there is a script or anything that would enable that functionality I could not tell you as I have not dealt with scripts or SSH or termial or anything of the nature with the ASUS router.

Since you are running a domain, most of your local network resources should be based on access control correct? Thus you really should not have a problem allowing intranet access from guest network.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!