What's new

UPnP Secure Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Can anyone tell me what the secure mode option in UPnP actually does and also, does enabling that option actually make using UPnP safe?

UPnP Settings.jpg

So does this mean it's safe to use it (UPnP Secure Mode that is)?

Why would having additional security be unsafe?
No idea. That's why I asked the question. Trend Micro still flags it up as with a warning, but I don't know enough about UPnP and the available options in ASUS routers to know one way or the other, so I'm hoping that someone who is more clued-up about this can advise as to whether it's OK to use this option or not.

Using UPnP Secure Mode is more safe that not using UPnP Secure Mode. I'd have thought that was obvious from its name and the description of what it does.

I believe the question is whether it is safe to use "UPnP Secure Mode" or is it better to disable UPnP.
Well that's not what he said. If that's what he meant then the only way "to be safe" is to disconnect your router from the internet, nothing is 100% safe.

Last edited:
Well that's not what he said. If that's what he meant then the only way "to be safe" is to disconnect your router from the internet, nothing is 100% safe.
To repeat, this is what I asked, "does enabling that option actually make using UPnP safe?" I'm not asking about whether I am generally safe using the internet but whether UPnP itself in so-called secure mode adds any additional risk.