What's new

Wifi Calling - Asus router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
Should anything be configured differently from default to optimize wifi calling? I have T Mobile, and wondering if I should be enabling QOS, or opening a port, to optimize the quality and connection for wifi calling on my iPhone. Or will default settings be good enough?

There's dependencies on the clients - IMS/Volte, which is what Verizon/ATT is doing, things just seem to work in most cases.

TMobile - depends on what you have - some phones do UMA (older ones), and some do IMS...

Should anything be configured differently from default to optimize wifi calling? I have T Mobile, and wondering if I should be enabling QOS, or opening a port, to optimize the quality and connection for wifi calling on my iPhone. Or will default settings be good enough?

The problem with enabling WiFi calling is while you can get it to work well or very well at home, or on other networks you control the WiFi AP, your phone will try and connect to any known WiFi network or hotspot when you are out and about and then the call quality is hit and miss and in my opinion mostly miss. This meant that when I left the house I needed to disable WiFi calling.

I finally gave up on WiFi calling and got T-Mobil to give me a T-Mobil 4G Cell spot which I plug into my router and it gives me four bars of service everywhere in my home.

I've got an iPhone 6s on ATT - and it uses both Voice over LTE and WiFi calling is an option one can enable - seems to work well enough - it doesn't grab just any hotspot/wifi network, just the known ones - and the ATT iphone carrier bundle does include attwifi as a "known" SSID, so if one is nearby, it will attach which is a bit spooky in and of itself (but out of scope of conversation on this thread).

I'll have to do a couple of pcaps to double check - but it looks like the VoWiFI client does do a quick loopback check with the IMS edgeservers prior to registration, so if the bandwidth/network quality doesn't meet some minimum spec, it won't switch over to WiFi for voice calling, and will stay with VoLTE instead.

I've got an iPhone 6s on ATT - and it uses both Voice over LTE and WiFi calling is an option one can enable - seems to work well enough - it doesn't grab just any hotspot/wifi network, just the known ones - and the ATT iphone carrier bundle does include attwifi as a "known" SSID, so if one is nearby, it will attach which is a bit spooky in and of itself (but out of scope of conversation on this thread).

I'll have to do a couple of pcaps to double check - but it looks like the VoWiFI client does do a quick loopback check with the IMS edgeservers prior to registration, so if the bandwidth/network quality doesn't meet some minimum spec, it won't switch over to WiFi for voice calling, and will stay with VoLTE instead.

I had a Samsung Galaxy and my wife used a 4s Iphone. While I had some problems at home if I didn't move around or at least walk into a weak WiFi zone I was OK.

However at a mall when the phones connected to the mall's free WiFi (which I had used previously to kill time while she shopped ) phone calls tended to drop. Even had problems when connected to Xfinity hotspots.

In the end it just wasn't worth it to me. Use the nice ASUS router T-Mobil gave me as an AP, but never use WiFi calling unless that is the only option to make a connection and even then Skype seems to work better.

Or will default settings be good enough?

Defaults just work and work well.

WiFi Call is a tremendous (IMO) complimentary technology to cellular radio and a competitor to femtocell. It requires very little bandwidth. When cellular and WiFi both available but signals poor, a good handset will pick the better for voice calls.

I haven't done anything unique settings-wise* for wifi calling at home with T-Mobile on my iPhone.

I live in weirdly small dead pocket for T-Mob cell coverage, so wifi calling has been a savior - prior to setting it up, I could only make/receive calls from one corner in my living room, and that was still sketchy at best. With wifi calling, I'm good anywhere in my house.

* - I don't have any QoS enabled at all, and have historically used all default settings with Merlin's firmwares - the only tweak I make is to enable IGMP Snooping for my Chromecasts.

Cheers, Chris

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!