What's new

Wifi Radar - Site Survey

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CaptainSTX

Part of the Furniture
Occasionally I run this native utility to see which of my neighbors are running wide or non standard channels so I can find a better channel to use for my 2.4 Ghz devices. When I change the channels on both the router and my APs this utility doesn't seem to notice and keeps reporting all APs using the prior channels. I know the channels have been changed as every other WiFi analyzer run on other devices shows the router and APs on the new channel. Apparently once the utility sees the SSID and notes the channel it never checks the actual channel associated with the SSID again.

So has anyone discovered a method or trick to make this utility running on an AC86 using Merlin firmware all recent versions (15,16, or 17) found a way other than rebooting the router to get the WiFi radar pay attention and show channel changes? Stopping and starting the utility or making changes to some of the logged variables or waiting for many hours doesn't seem to get the app to report correctly.

Thanks.

Is the Wi-Fi Radar > WiFi Site Survey supposed to show you yours and all the other networks around you like other Wi-Fi analysers, because it doesn't on my AC86U, it only shows the one I'm connected to?

Did you enable it?

By default site survey is disabled on the 86u.
Yes, I enabled so I could do a site survey to see what channels to use.

Once it is enabled and if you switch channels the site survey doesn't reflect that unless you reboot the router and then enable the site survey again. Stopping data collection and then restarting isn't sufficient.

Is the Wi-Fi Radar > WiFi Site Survey supposed to show you yours and all the other networks around you like other Wi-Fi analysers, because it doesn't on my AC86U, it only shows the one I'm connected to?
It shows every WiFi radio in range similar to what other WiFI utilities do. Currently I can see eleven 2.4 Ghz SSIDs of which three are mine. Similar results on the 5 Ghz.

It shows every WiFi radio in range similar to what other WiFI utilities do. Currently I can see eleven 2.4 Ghz SSIDs of which three are mine. Similar results on the 5 Ghz.
Whenever I've used this feature on my AC86U it only shows my own network I'm connected to and nothing else.

Whenever I've used this feature on my AC86U it only shows my own network I'm connected to and nothing else.

Here is a screen shot from my router. Only the first one is running on my AC 86, the next three are on APs the rest are my neighbors. Not much reason to run a scan if it doesn't show all networks.

Screenshot_2020-06-20 WiFi Radar.png

Here is a screen shot from my router. Only the first one is running on my AC 86, the next three are on APs the rest are my neighbors. Not much reason to run a scan if it doesn't show all networks.

View attachment 24189

Not bad... all of my neighbors are bunched up on channels 2-6! :)

OE

Not bad... all of my neighbors are bunched up on channels 2-6!

Fortunately some of my neighbors are cheap and turn off their routers when not on line. When you look at the graphical representation you often see many of them are using wide channels and probably auto channel which results in non standard channels.

I followed the instructions... clicked on Start Data Collection and then submit... waited 5min...
Site Survey and Channel Statistics and Advanced Troubleshooting still show NO INTERFACE

What is missing?
version 384.18 on AC88U

I follow the same path. Start Data Collection and let it run for about a minute or two. Then go back to site survey and press the Scan button and then the population happens. On the configuration page, make sure you click all the boxes on the bottom of the page so you can see what you want in the channel Statistics and Advanced Troubleshooting sections. Great tool. If your an apartment or condo dweller this too is a must to keep your connections fast and reliable. One thing if your a wireless ROKU user. You do know that 5ghz usage requires you to use channels from I believe 149 on up. So good luck finding something in upper channels. I live in a residentials neighborhood and since the start of May all the neighbors that were connecting on lower channels have now switched to upper channels which tells me ROKU sales are strong.

Instead of the WiFi RADAR, I use the WinFi Utility which gives me more info on the WiFi Channels in my neighborhood.

@Toink keep in mind that depending on where the device which is running the WinFi Utility is vs. the location of the router, the information it provides may be effectively 'useless'. :)

Its the router(s) that determine how the radios will run/be set up. Not the client devices 'view' of the WiFi environment with their usually inferior antennae, radio, and power/sensitivity levels.

Did you enable it?

By default site survey is disabled on the 86u.
How do you enable access , ihave it listed in 386.7 merlin for my xt12 but when i click any of the four tools i get page not found 404 error. Can’t find any thing that talks about enabling access

How do you enable access , ihave it listed in 386.7 merlin for my xt12 but when i click any of the four tools i get page not found 404 error. Can’t find any thing that talks about enabling access
Hi Gary - did you ever find an answer for this? I have the same hardware and question.

Hi Gary - did you ever find an answer for this? I have the same hardware and question.
Hi Wonko - Believe it is a known omission which has been rectified in 388.1 Beta 3 Rmerlin version not sure about stock 388.1 :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!