What's new

ZenWifiXT8 - is there a way to assign a device to a particular node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davekstl

Regular Contributor
I thought I read somewhere that devices can be moved to a particular node in a Mesh system?
I have 3 Nodes counting the router. The main router is at one end of a 3,000 sq. ft. house and I have devices attached to the router that are at the other end of the house. I have 2 nodes closer to these devices. I thought there was a way to change where the devices attach themselves. I have rebooted each of the devices trying to force a move on their own, but no luck.
Is there a firmware change that may solve this if it cannot easily be accomplished?
Ideas?
Dave

If there is a way I have not been able to find it. Definitely a function that needs to be added. One of my devices is in an unfortunate spot where it seems to bounce between my 2 nodes. I’d really like to lock it to one specific node.

I did find a way to, sort of, solve my problem. “Roaming Block List” in advanced wireless settings. But it still doesn’t allow you to lock a device to a specific node. Just apparently keeps it from switching nodes.

AFAICT no. All it allows you to do is keep the device from switching nodes. I think it still initially determines what node it thinks is the best for that device to connect to. Honestly not completely clear and I have not had time to experiment with it. This is how Asus describes it (in their typically cryptic manner) - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039647/

Thanks...I will play with it.
I hope their will be a firmware that let's us assign a node to a device

Thanks...I will play with it.
I hope their will be a firmware that let's us assign a node to a device
I agree. Just like you can manually assign IP addresses to certain devices you should also be able to assign certain devices to specific nodes. I obviously want my devices that move around (phones, tablets, etc.) to automatically switch nodes as appropriate but I want my stationary devices that never move to be manually assigned to a specific node of my choosing. I would have thought that would have been an obviously required capability.

I agree. Just like you can manually assign IP addresses to certain devices you should also be able to assign certain devices to specific nodes. I obviously want my devices that move around (phones, tablets, etc.) to automatically switch nodes as appropriate but I want my stationary devices that never move to be manually assigned to a specific node of my choosing. I would have thought that would have been an obviously required capability.
Are you happy with this mesh system? I think.it could be better.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!