What's new

[384.15_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen anything like that with any RT-AC68U's I've upgraded to the latest Alpha 1 versions?

When was the last time you did a full M&M Config on your router?
I don't know, at first, I thought it was my ISP problem, but it's not. I'm still observing now, so far so good with stable 384.14_2 without needing to do full M&M config.

My last full M&M config was prior to installing the first 384.15 alpha release.

These alphas have been solid!
Zero downtime for the Family dl/ul :)
I do a full reset of my router & AP at each RMerlin fw release, so that I clear out any "gremlins" that might linger from the dirty upgrades (alphas/betas).

Last edited:
I use Asus Merlin since 8 Years but this is my first post in this forum.
Upgrading from a RT-AC68U 4 Month ago to a RT-AX88U i became with 384.14 some of the incidents already described.

Switching to the 384.15 Alphas solves them all.
I think I will love the coming 384.15 Release!

RTAX88U@384.15_alpha1-g95c8d4370f with AX58BT@IntelAX200@21.60.2.1...
Speeds are fine:
View attachment 20944
With Internet speedtest showing 350/800 DL/UP....

but quite a few already reported errors:
kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set

Also by no means I can manage to connect using WPA3... Tried simple pass (just alphanumeric).. tried setting WPA3 only... no success...

Any ideas if Asus fixed it in the 7968 release for which we are still waiting for the GPL?

EDIT:
With a bit of playing I have found that the Asus AX58BT adapter (Intel AX200) doesn't want to connect even over WPA2... with REQUIRED PMF... Hence I thing the problem lies on the client side... Interrestingly Samsung Galaxy S9 and S7 connected successfully with PMF mandatory over WPA2...
Though the Intel driver reports to support PMF:
Code:
Driver                    : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
    Vendor                    : Intel Corporation
    Provider                  : Intel
    Date                      : 15.12.2019
    Version                   : 21.60.2.1
    INF file                  : oem40.inf
    Type                      : Native Wi-Fi Driver
    Radio types supported     : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11a 802.11ac 802.11ax
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
    802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes
    Hosted network supported  : No
    Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:
                                Open            None
                                Open            WEP-40bit
                                Open            WEP-104bit
                                Open            WEP
                                WPA-Enterprise  TKIP
                                WPA-Enterprise  CCMP
                                WPA-Personal    TKIP
                                WPA-Personal    CCMP
                                WPA2-Enterprise TKIP
                                WPA2-Enterprise CCMP
                                WPA2-Personal   TKIP
                                WPA2-Personal   CCMP
                                Open            Vendor defined
                                WPA3-Enterprise Unknown
                                WPA3-Personal   CCMP
                                Unknown         CCMP
                                Vendor defined  Vendor defined
    IHV service present       : Yes

Hmmm... Interestingly it might be an issue of Windows. According to:
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetwor...-with-11r-Management-Frame-Protection-enabled

Though I'm on W10.1909 aka 18363...

Update:
I have also checked few other devices (phones, google stuff, TVs and other Lenovo Notebooks).. on the AX88U with PMF Required only Samsung phones manage to connect...
I have serious issues with PMF enabled/required in 384.14, revert back to 384.13 (384.14 don't allow to disable PMF) and all nice and smooth. I did played with latest alpha and you can disable PMF and see how will perform for you.

It's not the case... the problem is that WPA3 REQUIRES by design PMF... hence I cannot make it work... Something is either wrong with Intel cards or Broadcom NIC which prevents PMF from working properly with other chips than Samsungs....

384.15_alpha1-g95c8d4370f running great on my RT-AX88U back-hauled in AiMesh mode to 2x RT-AC86U's on 384.15_alpha1-gbbe574ca0d.
a). This the first Ai-Mesh merlin code where one or more of the RT-AC86U's have not dropped out, requiring a power off/on to come back into AiMesh mode.
b). With WPA2/WPA3-Personal enabled, WiFi-6 enabled on 2.4GHz & 5.0Ghz, my older Epson 2.4GHz printer/scanner stayed connected. This the first WPA3 code release to achieve that, in my testing.
c). The house boss, she very happy with this firmware level of WiFi stability on Netflix, Prime, iPhone, Facebook, Amazon, Google with Diversion, Skynet, Pixelserv, AMTM, Fresh_JR_QOS...anywhere in the house and section. A great team effort from RMerlin and the boys, to make me look good!! :)

Hey, the latest alpha is indeed super fast and stable! Thanks @RMerlin!

However could someone please check if they can connect to the router with e.g. WPA2 with required PMF and/or WPA3 using an Intel client.... doesn't need to be 802.11ax, 802.11ac is also enough I tried with AX200 and 7265... both failed.

However could someone please check if they can connect to the router with e.g. WPA2 with required PMF and/or WPA3 using an Intel client.... doesn't need to be 802.11ax, 802.11ac is also enough I tried with AX200 and 7265... both failed.

Intel AX200 works fine with WPA3 and PMF

I'm going to post Merlin's favorite, a problem with no logs to back it up.
Yesterday, my Fire stick fell offline. Two mobile phones had 1/3 the speed they normally report via SpeedTest, so, I power cycled the 86U.
When it returned, all was normal again. Latest alpha. I've not had any problems with WiFi in a long long time.

After applying the 14 Jan alpha, I do get the infamous WLCEVENTD logs. I had none on the 1 Jan alpha.

After the power cycle, I see no WLCEVENTD entries for the past 12 hours

Though I see nothing that stands out in them, I'm attaching the log file.

Attachments

• GHsyslog.txt
    274.6 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
The come and go with wireless devices. I fixed this with a lower DTM Interval set to 2 and a lower Beacon Interval. Some Iphones in the household are in power save (Read: extensive use and battery drain, Kids) I see them come and go with their mac numbers and i almost know them by hart now, pfffffff. As from now, I have no other fixxed devices in the household with any loss of Wi-Fi connections anymore :) !!

384.15_alpha1-g95c8d4370f running great on my RT-AX88U back-hauled in AiMesh mode to 2x RT-AC86U's on 384.15_alpha1-gbbe574ca0d.
a). This the first Ai-Mesh merlin code where one or more of the RT-AC86U's have not dropped out, requiring a power off/on to come back into AiMesh mode.
b). With WPA2/WPA3-Personal enabled, WiFi-6 enabled on 2.4GHz & 5.0Ghz, my older Epson 2.4GHz printer/scanner stayed connected. This the first WPA3 code release to achieve that, in my testing.
c). The house boss, she very happy with this firmware level of WiFi stability on Netflix, Prime, iPhone, Facebook, Amazon, Google with Diversion, Skynet, Pixelserv, AMTM, Fresh_JR_QOS...anywhere in the house and section. A great team effort from RMerlin and the boys, to make me look good!! :)

I also have a RT-AX88U, with two RT-AX92U's as AiMesh nodes (running latest stock firmware). I'm finding similar to you in that, for the first time, my AiMesh nodes seem relatively stable.. I wouldn't say perfect, there have been a few times when internet access and ping responses have become slow/sporadic, though in all times but one things have recovered before I've managed to logon to the router to take a look what's going on (whereas before a manual power cycle or at least a reboot would be required).

Fingers crossed!

I have updated my original post... I did tweak some advanced 5GHz Props... Namely DISABLED: "Enable WMM No-Acknowledgement" and "Optimize AMPDU aggregation" anb voila! WPA3 with PMF works!
Those two are always supposed to be disabled in any (and most) configurations, why did you enable them in the first place...! ;)

Having been running latest alpha code on AX88u for about a week now, in normal router mode, no mesh.

It's been solid with 27 home clients.

All of the issue I've seen (trouble with sonos, trouble with nest protect clients (but not thermostat or hello), and leaving 5G on auto puts it into a higher bracket (149) that several of my clients have issues with) are baked into the stock firmware as well, and not specific to this alpha.

AC86U

kernel: FPM Pool 0: invalid token 0x003ff000 freed

What is it ?
The entire event log score.
Started after activating Qos (fq_codel)

their popup advertises moar throughput... moar speeed :D
Truth-be-told I'm 99% sure I had them enabled on my AC87u.... and never experienced any issues...
:D
Then read This, it is a good start for main settings... ;)

Well there's all kinds of hooey in my system log now. I haven't changed the reporting parameters. My log used to be empty, or limited to a line or two.

Clipboard01.jpg
Who knows why?

Anton

Who knows why?
Someone leaves for work around 8AM and returns around 5PM. The logs show when that Apple device disconnects from 5GHz and when it reconnects.

ACSD defore that is the result of having Wireless channel set to Auto on 2.4GHz.

An hour ago my RT-AX88U did an unexptected reboot ... last line before reboot is Diversion statistics complete ... just wanted to report because this happend the first time since I'm on .15alpha.

Diversion, skynet and all the other tools are installed since one week.

I think my last PLANNED reboot (change of location) is about 2 days ago (memory could not be an issue on the ax88, am I right?)

upload_2020-1-23_13-2-16.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!