What's new

[384.15_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only variable that I know of that has changed recently is that two 5G cellphone networks have gone live on (3.3GHz-3.8GHz range), which I assume do not interfere.
Now that is more concise! Now we know, you did have a measurable decrease in signal.
So then is it possible but for what I quoted you; I wouldn't write the 5G down at all, since even if not the same frequency its strong signal could interfere with your WiFi. I am no expert on the matter, but it is my opinion...

Hi! Since yesterday I'm proud owner of a RT-AX88U, I have everything configured so far - with merlins alpha - only one question - because I could be wrong but I think yesterday I hadn't that problem.

My 5GHz WIFI setting is manual on channel 48 - and today since a few hours (!) the DFS Status is stuck in ISM Mode. (On the picture I just restarted the WIFI - that's because it's only 12min

upload_2020-1-16_18-6-41.png

upload_2020-1-16_18-8-2.png

I'm asking because the noise is since much worse (in the 80s) - and yesterday it was 92-95...

Is this normal behaviour - should this ISM Mode end after a fair amount of time?

Thanks for clearing me up...

Bye, best regards and thanks

Is this normal behaviour - should this ISM Mode end after a fair amount of time?

ISM, as the page shows, means In Service Monitoring. This is the normal state once the initial scan is completed, meaning the router will just keep listening in case a radar appears, in which case it will then move to another channel.

While I'm not arguing the point, I can sit and watch levels change over a short period of time on any device in my house.
If you were getting 20% differences, then I'd be concerned. Less than that just goes with the technology.

Unless you have high-end RF test equipment in a test chamber.

Yes and I'm pretty sure indoor humidity and the placement of objects in the room also affects wireless signals.

So does the presence of OTHER (neighboring) wireless signals at nearby (or the same) frequencies.

I'm not a fan of anecdotes like "XYZ firmware has better wireless strength than ABC firmware" because unless they have thiggins testing equipment, I have to take those anecdotes with a grain of salt.

Source: I am a scientist.

ISM, as the page shows, means In Service Monitoring. This is the normal state once the initial scan is completed, meaning the router will just keep listening in case a radar appears, in which case it will then move to another channel.

Thanks for the quick clarification!

Your answer puts it all in perspective. I am a poweruser and understand how things work but it does not make me the mister know it all on routers and indeed I might not use the same semantics to express my observations and experiences.

Hi, just a question, how many routers you have at home and what setup you have there them interconnected?

Hi! Since yesterday I'm proud owner of a RT-AX88U, I have everything configured so far - with merlins alpha - only one question - because I could be wrong but I think yesterday I hadn't that problem.

My 5GHz WIFI setting is manual on channel 48 - and today since a few hours (!) the DFS Status is stuck in ISM Mode. (On the picture I just restarted the WIFI - that's because it's only 12min

View attachment 20882

View attachment 20883

I'm asking because the noise is since much worse (in the 80s) - and yesterday it was 92-95...

Thanks for clearing me up...

Bye, best regards and thanks
Not sure why you are using Channel 48. It is a non-DFS channel with ubiquitous router support. I would expect it to be more noisy than a DFS channel which is not supported by many routers. The lowest DFS channel is 52. I am not sure whether contiguous channels make a difference, but in that case the lowest DFS channel is 100.

There is a diagram in this post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/5...s-router-channel-bandwidth.61216/#post-541747

Last edited:
Hi, just a question, how many routers you have at home and what setup you have there them interconnected?
Fiberlink 1Gbit with a gateway. The two routers are cabled to the gateway and service complete separate networks . (The gateway is a mandatory box with a proprietary firmware from the ISP (that I cannot trust)). The two router nets are not connected. (I have no clue how I should do that without reconfiguring the gateway that I do not want to touch), Each router is located in the center of the house and services a floor. The VPN client on each router makes sure that IP traffic is geo displaced and by-passes the governmental proxy). The use of VPN creates a loss of almost half of the 1Gbit connection.

Fiberlink 1Gbit with a gateway. The two routers are cabled to the gateway and service complete separate networks

Hi, there are many options there but I’d suggest setting up an aimesh system if all being asus’ hardware. Or, in the case that’s not the case, setting only one main AP connected to that untrusted device and having any other AP set as one wireless wired AP to the main AP’s network.

Never seen this before, but my AirPlay speakers stopped working today. I had to factory reset them, connect them to my WiFi network again, and reboot the router to get them working again.

I'm surprised that I needed to reboot the router. What could have been blocking them?

They are connected now, but the connection is still bad? Audio drops a lot, which I also never experienced before.

Hi, there are many options there but I’d suggest setting up an aimesh system if all being asus’ hardware. Or, in the case that’s not the case, setting only one main AP connected to that untrusted device and having any other AP set as one wireless wired AP to the main AP’s network.
The ISP hardware is mandatory, not Asus and has proprietary ISP firmware. As long is there is no guest wifi on an Asus AP, I am stuck with this configuration.

Can someone tell me what the little "u" means next to my wifi channel on 2.4?
Code:
Wireless 2.4 GHz
SSID: Sam    Mode: AP
Noise: -82 dBm    Channel: 11u    BSSID: F0:79:59:xx:xx:xx

Th
Can someone tell me what the little "u" means next to my wifi channel on 2.4?
Code:
Wireless 2.4 GHz
SSID: Sam    Mode: AP
Noise: -82 dBm    Channel: 11u    BSSID: F0:79:59:xx:xx:xx
That you are on 40Hz instead of 20Hz, and that is a bad idea...

Th

That you are on 40Hz instead of 20Hz, and that is a bad idea...
Thanks for your reply why is 20 better than 40 please sir?

Thanks for your reply why is 20 better than 40 please sir?
There is plenty on the subject here on the forum, and everywhere on the net; so let's not pollute this tread with basic stuff and use search ;)

Reactions: a5m
There is plenty on the subject here on the forum, and everywhere on the net; so let's not pollute this tread with basic stuff and use search ;)
So it's a debatable topic? Okay, no clear answer is good. ;)

So it's a debatable topic? Okay, no clear answer is good. ;)
No it is not, simply put if you go too wide in a busy and noisy neighborhood, you kill your and your neighbor Wi-Fi on the small number of 2.4 channels...

As for the why and how, well use search.

Not sure why you are using Channel 48. It is a non-DFS channel with ubiquitous router support. I would expect it to be more noisy than a DFS channel which is not supported by many routers. The lowest DFS channel is 52. I am not sure whether contiguous channels make a difference, but in that case the lowest DFS channel is 100.

There is a diagram in this post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/5...s-router-channel-bandwidth.61216/#post-541747

Now I know why I didn't see this message before. Since yesterday I own also my first AX Device - and it seems this DFS ISM is "always on" when a AX device is connected. Right now I'm at work, no AX device online - so the DFS Status is "idle" Makes sense...

I know it's maybe not the right place - but I'm really happy with this alpha-version - and I want to know only one additional advice - do 802.1N devices have any impact on the 5ghz wifi AX performance? I'm asking because I'm wondering if i should try to put a few devices (like amazon kids tabs which are only n-capable) into the 2,4ghz wifi - or if it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks again, and sorry - if its a little offtopic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!