What's new

AC5300 - VPN Client on 1 SSID/Band only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sgcareerman

New Around Here
Since AC5300 has tri-band function and i does not use one of the 5G band, i wanted to use the spare 5G Band for VPN purpose only.

The reason i need this is because some of the streaming apps i use on my Android TV Box will require VPN to China and some of the streaming apps does not work well when the Android TV Box is connected to China VPN. With a SSID only for VPN only will be good because the tablets will also be able use the VPN easily, rather than keep connecting and disconnected the VPN via the APP provided by the service provider.

Currently Merlin firmware VPN Client settings only allow IP based policy routing (which is good for my NAS) but bad for my Android TV Box.

I tired to Google and search for solution but most of them too complex or does not seems to work well.

Appreciate any help on this.

Hi Peraburek
saw this thread with your solution but it seems a little too technical to understand in certain parts.
I should be able to edit the jffs scripts but i do not really understand how it works so i am worried.

Correct me if i am i wrong,
After i follow exact the instruction of your V2.0 script
I will need to create a Guest Wi-Fi network on the 5Ghz network
Create a VPN connection using VPN Client 1 and add the following line to the Custom Configuration Box
"route-nopull"
"route-up /jffs/scripts/vpn-route-1.sh"
Connect the VPN
Once the above is done, any client i connect to the Guest Wi-Fi network will be using the VPN right and the client IP Address should be between the range from
192.168.201.2 to 192.168.201.254 ?

I am using AC5300, i would prefer to use one of the Tri-Band 5Ghz which i am not using and is it possible to achieve it ?

@sgcareerman - first enable Guest network that you want on your AC5300

then check interface name (is it wl1.1 or wlX.Y) you need to get it correct and adjust script accordingly

after you setup everything and reboot your router, your wlan "guest clients" should get from different IP range and be routed through VPN only

please note - those scripts are NOT compatible with Adaptive QOS, if you are using Adaptive QOS this will not work, so please disable QOS if you don't need it

@peraburek - how do i check the interface name ?

I SSH into the router (AC5300) and got the following from nvram show
wl1_ssid=VPN Only
"VPN Only" is the SSID i set for the first 5Ghz Wi-Fi on the router.

so in the script i can just use wl1 right ?

AC5300 has 2 5Ghz band, therefore instead of a guest Wi-Fi, i just use one of the 5Ghz band for VPN easier right? or it is a must to create a guest Wi-Fi for your script to work ?

I not using Adaptive QOS so no worries on that.

Last question if i input your script and frack up things somehow, will the reset button on the router help to restore it to factory settings?

Execute "ifconfig" command to see the list of all your interfaces

You have to find right wlan interface name and adjust script to it

Reset does reset everything so you wont screw up anyhing, my script is not doing some heavy changes

In case you dont like it, delete scripts and reboot, that is enough, you dont need to reset your router

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!