What's new

AiMesh - 5ghz-2 is now dedicated backhaul after recent firmware? (wired backhaul)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adambean

Regular Contributor
Hey all,

I've been using a 3 router AiMesh (AC66u B1, AC5300, GT5300) setup for awhile. They are all connected via Ethernet. I did a firmware (3.0.0.4.384_45149) update today, and now under network map, it says "5 GHz-2 is now used as dedicated WiFi backhaul under AiMesh mode."

I tried to change the name to the same as the 2.4ghz + 5ghz dual band, and it barks "The fronthaul SSID is the same as the backhaul SSID".

Is this ... working as intended? I don't understand why I'd need a wifi backhaul when I have an ethernet backhaul?

Thanks!

How do you know if the 2nd router is connected via a wired or wireless backhaul? Where does it say? Thanks.

ZQqM7Gm

Under AiMesh they both show a wired connection. See screenshot.

Also under connection type, it says wired

Last edited:
Debating just tearing down and rebuilding the AiMesh, but I'd prefer not to. Hoping someone has an idea!

Debating just tearing down and rebuilding the AiMesh, but I'd prefer not to. Hoping someone has an idea!

There are posts here complaining that 45149 AiMesh has taken away the second 5 GHz band. So, rebuilding may not change that. You could try forcing/setting node connection priority to 'wired/Ethernet' just in case insisting you are all wired makes a difference to AiMesh... I'd guess that it will not.

Maybe ASUS took away the second 5 GHz band until they can sort out how to manage it... still guessing.

OE

Rebuilding has not changed the issue. I tried from scratch with no success. After a reboot the problem reoccurs from my reading. People have also tried setting variables from the CLI with no success. For now it's likely best to revert if you want the 2nd channel or reconfig without it.

Setting priority to wired will not work, but nice thought there, @OzarkEdge I missed that one when I was thinking about the issue. All mine are set to wired priority.

@LimJK had said that @arthurlien and the team were having some internal discussions.

Most of our (users) conversation is here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...on-3-0-0-4-384-45149.50244/page-2#post-448916

So, once you go AiMesh, the third band is relegated no matter what. Without knowing for sure, I venture to suggest that this is not unlike other mesh systems having a third band in that the third band is not available to wireless clients.

OE

Merlins, current FW is based on 32799 If I recall correctly and the newest Asus is newer than his technically. I am curious also how Merlin will handle this, or if he can ?

Yep the 3rd band is gone once you update at least it was for me. I always setup the main Router components before the mesh components in order to get the Mrs back online and not cause issues with her work (she works from home). It was gone during the initial setup. :(

Yep the 3rd band is gone once you update at least it was for me. I always setup the main Router components before the mesh components in order to get the Mrs back online and not cause issues with her work (she works from home). It was gone during the initial setup. :(

Oh, that's a bit different then... losing the third band before using AiMesh. That's gonna piss off some tri-band buyers.

OE

Hmmm, looking at my screenshot from my setup in the other thread, and reading the wording, Looks like it should only be AiMesh. I have pretty much gotten to be on auto pilot for setup from scratch. Maybe I touched something I shouldn't have. Maybe I am mis remembering too.

@LimJK or @drabisan

Can you tell me if I am incorrect, in post 9 about when we loose 5g-2 ?

TIA

@adambean unfortunately it is working as intended in the latest firmware.
After some discussions with Asus, it seems they will revert this decision in the next firmware. Hopefully sooner than later.
@OzarkEdge I didn't try with a standalone 3band so I don't know if you loose it without AiMesh. But when you have a functional AiMesh and update the firmware, that radio is hidden, it add the _dwb to the existing SSID. One can unhide it and configure a different SSID for it. But unfortunately it can't be the same as for 5GHz#1 even when you don't actually need a wireless backhaul. And that's the aspect Asus should fix.

@drabisan - thank you! Good to know. I'm having all kinds of funky issues since going to this firmware - primarily disconnects. I'm sitting here watching my phone and a Google home disconnect/reconnect. Should I revert to the previous firmware or is this something I should open a new thread on and share my logs?

Thanks

I don't have any problems with this firmware. Other than loosing 2nd radio.
A factory default + manual reconfiguration would be the first thing to do.
If that doesn't solve the disconnects, downgrade it.

@drabisan - I don't understand why I should do a factory default? I don't want to lose configurations, more specifically assigning names to devices (this was a massive PITA, I have ~80 devices on my network). Not to mention recreating the AiMesh in itself can be a challenge.

I was thinking downgrade is the best choice right now. I am still facing all kinds of oddities. More so that devices aren't playing nicely on the network with Smart Connect on. For example, my dozen Googles, no longer play in the "everywhere" group. That my wemo switches don't always reply now. I watch my phone ever now and then throw a "wifi disconnected" and come right back. Something funky is happening.

Downgrading without factory reset is never a good idea!
In newest release there are variables that were never before and some defaults may be changed and it may not play nice in an older release.
You can save dhcp reservations and port forwarding by looking in the config with SSH. And restrer that part after downgrade.

Ultimately its up to you.
Downgrade and if something is still odd, reset it.

I downgraded earlier this evening. So far, way more stable! I feel like some of my devices were reliant on that third channel? Not sure, but everything seems to be way better now.

Ever since I downgraded, I'm having a lot of disconnects and unavailable devices. Really debating a switch to a UniFi setup but feel now is a bad time to invest with AX coming out.

Just checked firmware and no new updates. So is recommended course of action to factory reset all three routers and rebuild?

Also, being that my AC66U doesn't have the third band, is that potentially an issue with the newer firmware that forces the second 5ghz band into a backhaul?

Thanks

Ever since I downgraded, I'm having a lot of disconnects and unavailable devices. Really debating a switch to a UniFi setup but feel now is a bad time to invest with AX coming out.

Just checked firmware and no new updates. So is recommended course of action to factory reset all three routers and rebuild?

Also, being that my AC66U doesn't have the third band, is that potentially an issue with the newer firmware that forces the second 5ghz band into a backhaul?

Thanks

Not considering any oddities with the 5300s, I would reset each router, flash the latest firmware, reset each again, configure the root node router, add the remaining nodes, and live without the second 5 GHz band until ASUS gives it back to you.

I would expect the dual-band to co-exist with the tri-bands. And since the 66U does not support Smart Connect node band steering, you may want to define a separate SSID for each band, if your clients fail to connect to the preferred 66U band.

OE

Thanks @OzarkEdge

I have about 90 devices on my network. Was a pain to get them all identified. Before I reset everything, what's the easiest way to preserve all my custom names? Shut off router 2 and 3, let everything migrate to primary router and then do a backup? I've never actually used the backup/restore so does it preserve all the names?

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!