What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Somthing new on my N66

I flashed to 3.0.0.4.374.38_1-em after a factory reset and after manually restoring my settings and plugging in my two USB devices, I noticed something that I've not seen before on any Merlin builds - my 1TB drive shows up fine but my laser printer (HP LJ1200) is showing up as "undefined undefined" on the index page - that's a new one for me. I cleared the nvram and flashed to the 'em' build a second time but the problem persists. This does not appear to impact performance, it's merely cosmetic from what I can tell - here is a log snip when I unplug/re-plug the printer:

Jan 13 12:06:48 kernel: usb 1-1.1: USB disconnect, address 6
Jan 13 12:07:02 kernel: usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
Jan 13 12:07:03 kernel: usb 1-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jan 13 12:07:03 kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 7 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x0317
Jan 13 12:07:03 kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0 Device ID string [129]='MFG:Hewlett-Packard;CMD:pJL,MLC,PCL,PCLXL,POSTSCRIPT;MDL:HP LaserJet 1200;CLS:pRINTER;DES:Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 1200;MEM:8MB'

So, this is a pretty minor cosmetic issue that is evident in Chrome, Firefox, and IE 11.

Just wanted you to be aware...thanks for the hard work.

DZ

I've seen that there was a networkmap DNLA detection fix in 3.0.0.4.374.36 Beta 1, which seems to be the bug I'm hitting on. But it seems that its still not working as with 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 or older builds.

That had nothing to do with DLNA clients, it was a problem detecting other DLNA servers on the network, and only affected the networkmap client list, nothing else.

(And MrBrian as well)

Unplug any USB disk from your router, and keep only one computer connected to the LAN ports, then reboot the router. That way you will ensure to have all free RAM available, and won't have Download Master or other media services using up RAM. Once rebooted, try again flashing. Make sure you unzipped the firmware, and that you have the correct model.

Unplugging the USB3 disk dock (Vantec Nexstar NST-DP100S3) and rebooting allowed the upgrade. Thanks.

Lastly, regarding this new SDK: I uploaded a new experimental build for the RT-N66U labeled "374.0-em". This build has a special switch enabled while building the firmware. At this point I am unsure if it will improve, or have no effect at all, on the wireless performance of the RT-N66U. If you can, please test both builds, and let me know if there's any difference in wifi performance between the two. I will provide more details on this experimental build once I start getting more feedback (as I want to ensure I don't issue a placebo) :)
Hi,

I did some tests with my RT-N66U.
Tests done with Sony Vaio VPCF12M1E, Wifi = Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN.
inSSIDer version 2 (I know, is old, but works great for me).

2.4 GHz
-41 dBm with 374.36_beta1-sdk5
-55 dBm with 374.38_1 without factory default reset
-49 dBm with 374.38_1 after factory default reset
-46 dBm with 374.38_0em & 374.38_1em

5 GHz
-46 dBm with 374.36_beta1-sdk5
-52 dBm with 374.38_1 without factory default reset
-52 dBm with 374.38_1 after factory default reset
-46 dBm with 374.38_0em & 374.38_1em

I also did a simple test with my smartphone (Xperia-P). The coverage in the back of the garden is worse with the 0em version than with previous SDK5 builds: it is no longer possible to listen to streaming radio over Wifi.
With SDK5 builds I had regular drops, with 0em it is one big drop :(

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,

First of all, thank you for your work. PPPoE performance is back up.
As far as the WiFi tests go, I don't see any performance degradation or any improvements whatsoever. Then again we're talking about a 1 floor, 85 sqm space so I'm not sure if it counts.

2.4 Ghz is stable at 72 Mbps -43 dBm
5.0 GHz is oscillating between 26 Mbps -94 dBm to 58 Mbps -68 dBm

Regards,
Iotzan

That had nothing to do with DLNA clients, it was a problem detecting other DLNA servers on the network, and only affected the networkmap client list, nothing else.

Thanks, any other idea how to make all DNLA clients working with the latest build?

Small bug here.

Hi Merlin,

Allways very pleased by your work, thx.

I've installed .38_0 and .38_1 on both my rt-n66u and rt-ac66u and the wifi configuration pages don't display properly, even after a factory reset.
By default the language of the UI is set to French. When I change it to english the pages appear properly.
No problem on other configuration sections

Bye

try 36 beta, It worked well for me (a lot better than all official ones... I've not tried this one though)

hmm... but the 36 Beta 1 is older than 38_1?! well, I'll give it a try to see if DNLA is working with my TV...

DLNA audio streaming works fine (all I've tested to this point). It may be placebo for me with a fresh firmware update, but the performance/responsiveness is a little bit better with 38_1.

Running RT-N66U with the _em build. Wifi seems to be working fantastic. Not getting the same issues I had with my Apple hardware with the older SDK6. RSSI is pretty much the same with the last 35_4-sdk5. Really stoked about this.

I have noticed an issue though that I saw with my brief run of 37_1 related to DHCP (likely dnsmasq, since it was recently upgraded). I have the router's domain set to "saturn.lan", and I cannot access any of my machines with their assigned hostnames (i.e., telesto.saturn.lan). Pings state unknown host. On my Macs, I can't even ping the hostname without the domain (i.e., telesto), but on Windows I can.

I have confirmed that all my manually assigned IPs show up in /etc/hosts.dnsmasq (without the domain), and that dnsmasq.conf is properly referencing that file.

Any suggestions how to get things working as before? Perhaps a dnsmasq configuration change? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Looking at dnsmasq.conf, I am noticing a line that might be causing this issue
Code:
no-dhcp-interface=ppp1*domain=saturn.lan
I think there needs to be a line break after ppp1*... I edited the file but I'm not sure if the configuration gets reloaded. Thoughts?

Edit2: Well, made a change within the web gui so dnsmasq would restart. Now I'm seeing this in the log:
dnsmasq[558]: warning: interface ppp1* does not currently exist
And my change reverted. I guess I'm stuck for now. Fresh out of ideas.

Edit3: Temp fix, as found in this thread, is to disable PPTP VPN. Looks like it mucks up the dnsmasq.conf file.

Last edited:
I have a problem with NTP server hours. I set GMT +1 Vilnius, Warsaw, Zagreb and i have an one hour next. For example time is 21:00 and i have on router 22:00. On version 3.0.0.4.374.37 it was OK.

This problem is on DUAL WAN is ON. When i disabled DUAL WAN it works ok and the time i set OK.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have false results with the traffic manager in the GLOBAL-> Last 24 hours, Daily and Monthly?

Under the Internet tab it's telling me I have downloaded 350 gig in the last 8 hours.

Where is under the PER DEVICE-> Daily, it adds up to 22 gig which is the correct reading.

Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.38_1
68u

Last edited:
Does anyone else have false results with the traffic manager in the GLOBAL-> Last 24 hours, Daily and Monthly?

Under the Internet tab it's telling me I have downloaded 350 gig in the last 8 hours.

Where is under the PER DEVICE-> Daily, it adds up to 22 gig which is the correct reading.

Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.38_1
68u

yes. I have that problem with ac56u. I also has reported the issue. :)

just like to get some knowledge base.

my ip are 172.17.0.0/22

1. I used ifconfig, I found eth0 is 192.168.1.104. I just wonder what's that for? iis it for dual WAN if I have any?

2. I have turn off FTP on the router. However, when I do port scan, I found my port 21 is opened. I just wonder how to turn it off?

thanks!

Bob

N66u

Whats the difference between:

RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.38_1.zip and RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.38_0.zip

Also, coming from 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 is a factory reset really necessary?

@bobyang

Do you have an RT-AC68? If that's the case, I can confirm that whenever enabling FTP it shows open in the WAN and you're not able to close it there unless you use a couple of IPTABLES rules.

Unfortunately I cannot link those here but search for the "Network Place (Samba) Share on LAN only" post and you'll find those rules there. You will need to include them in a firewall startup script.

Bad news if you enabled SMB though. If you don't want it open on the WAN at this moment there's no current fix for it. Read further at RMerlin's reply on that same thread.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Whats the difference between:

RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.38_1.zip and RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.38_0.zip

Also, coming from 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 is a factory reset really necessary?

Yes a reset, and manually reconfig your setting's. As for the firmware to use, .38_1 is the latest you should use. Also I might recommend grabbing the .38_1em build, which can be found in the N66U sub folder called Experimental.

@bobyang

Do you have an RT-AC68? If that's the case, I can confirm that whenever enabling FTP it shows open in the WAN and you're not able to close it there unless you use a couple of IPTABLES rules.

Unfortunately I cannot link those here but search for the "Network Place (Samba) Share on LAN only" post and you'll find those rules there. You will need to include them in a firewall startup script.

Bad news if you enabled SMB though. If you don't want it open on the WAN at this moment there's no current fix for it. Read further at RMerlin's reply on that same thread.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

thank you @EronRackzak

I have ac56u. I guess 68 and 56 acts the same then.

I don't open samba so it is fine to me :). I think samba netbios use port 137-139 so you may close it through iptables too :)

I just wonder if I have firewall-start, will it stop HWA? my HWA was enabled but once I have firewall-start, it seems be disabled.

thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!