What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

About SNMP, where i can set the interface ??? I have this error :(

376.47 only has the Asus proprietary MIBs enabled. Wait for 376.48, which has a whole bunch of additional modules enabled.

sorry guys, i know this has been discussed over and over..just can't figure it out

wired download speeds from my nas caps at max 25 MB/s..no idea why..
bought new HDD that pushes 130MB/s when conected directly to my laptop..

i remembered it briefly went to 50MB/s when i initially tested (LAN) but since then..it's been slower

also ..i'm getting no faster than 15MB/s over wifi (5Ghz connection)..

something to do with USB 3 recognized as usb 2?
any other suggestions? wisdom?

thanks so much..(becomin a bit obsessed with this :( )

Are you downloading from a NAS or from a USB disk plugged to your router? That's two different things.

OK, thanks, could you recommend any 2,5" USB3.0 enclosure, which definitely supports spindown?

None in particular, no.

376.47 only has the Asus proprietary MIBs enabled. Wait for 376.48, which has a whole bunch of additional modules enabled.

Merlin, I am a noob with the Asus product line - having just purchased and installed an RT-N16, specifically for installing your firmware (I am currently running 376.47).

I am using The Dude as a network monitor, but I note that there is no SNMP support (which I ideally need) in the current firmware for 376.47 on the N16. Any plans to add it - or do I need to separately install via Optware?

Thanks,
Woody.

Are you downloading from a NAS or from a USB disk plugged to your router? That's two different things.

Sorry..youre right..usb plugged in..
And i have read your previous posts about this.."if you want something stable..then get a real NAS"..:)

But in your test you did reach 50mb/s over lan..
So is there anywhere i can check if usb 3 is stepped down to 2.0...or anything else i can try?

Thanks a million

Merlin, I am a noob with the Asus product line - having just purchased and installed an RT-N16, specifically for installing your firmware (I am currently running 376.47).

I am using The Dude as a network monitor, but I note that there is no SNMP support (which I ideally need) in the current firmware for 376.47 on the N16. Any plans to add it - or do I need to separately install via Optware?

Thanks,
Woody.

No plan to add it to the RT-N16. That would require modifying the Asus MIBs since these expect the router to have OpenVPN support, and right now I'm treating the RT-N16 router as a legacy device. If something requires additional work to function on this older SDK5 device (the last one still based on this old SDK), then it probably won't happen.

Sorry..youre right..usb plugged in..
And i have read your previous posts about this.."if you want something stable..then get a real NAS"..:)

But in your test you did reach 50mb/s over lan..
So is there anywhere i can check if usb 3 is stepped down to 2.0...or anything else i can try?

Thanks a million

Make sure that USB 3.0 interference is disabled on the Wirless -> Advanced page, and that your disk does use a properly shielded USB 3.0 cable.

OpenVPN Now Working [upgraded from 3.0.0.4.354.29]

I just wanted to follow-up from my post earlier in this thread about getting OpenVPN to work from earlier versions.

Here are some tricks that I've found (thought I'd post them in case others may find it useful):

1. I no longer use the custom configuration, server-bridge command. Instead, use Allocate from DHCP: No and Client Address Pool to specify your range.
  2. On the VPN tab, definitely use the Export OpenVPN configuration file - this is the quickest and easiest way to get your OpenVPN settings on your client to be in-sync with the server.
  3. Direct clients to redirect traffic, Respond to DNS, Advertise DNS to clients all ON seems to work (I may try turning some of these off later).
On my client, I am running off an Apple Retina MBP with Yosemite 10.10 and Tunnelblick 3.4.1 (Build 4054). As before, Set Nameserver 3.1 seems to work best for me.

DNS and routing to the Internet and the intranet all working perfectly now.

On a sidenote, 5GHz at home seems to work best for me with using N-Only, 20/40MHz, Control Channel 149. It was super-flaky on default/auto settings. YMMV.

Thank you! Now found the interfaces with new beta :cool:

15573112182_1779e5c281_c.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure that USB 3.0 interference is disabled on the Wirless -> Advanced page, and that your disk does use a properly shielded USB 3.0 cable.

feeling "technologically challenged" but can't find the "advanced settings" in "wireless" (using the latest stable merlin build)

pls help
thanks

actually i don't seem to have the setting (this is where it should be...but it doesn't appear for me)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/...AC56U/ASUSRT-AC56U-3004372-24GHz.png~original

Last edited:
feeling "technologically challenged" but can't find the "advanced settings" in "wireless" (using the latest stable merlin build)

pls help
thanks

actually i don't seem to have the setting (this is where it should be...but it doesn't appear for me)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/...AC56U/ASUSRT-AC56U-3004372-24GHz.png~original

Sorry - it's called "Professional", not "Advanced". Poor translation from Asus IMHO, as I don't see anything "professional" in these settings.

346.47 Active OpenVPN connection doesn't show in VPN Server Tab

On an AC66U with 346.47, I have a working OpenVPN TUN connection from a remote client (AC66U with factory 3.0.0.3.374_5517). It shows on the VPN Status Tab but surprisingly is listed as "disconnected" on the VPN Server tab next to it.

Also I find I can ping from client (192.168.1.xxx) to server (192.168.2.xxx) but but can't from server to client. The routing tables seem to be set up properly to do this so I am in the dark about why it doesn't work.

Off-subject comment: The fact that flashing Merlin to a remote router requires a power-cycle prevents me from upgrading my remote unattended AC66U to the very nicely done Merlin FW. How come? In any case, my compliments to the chef.

Anyone have any tips for UPNP, other than not to use it I know,

On my Xbox One it says that my NAT is moderate and on my WDMYCLOUD it says the following;

Status Connected (Relay connection established)
For best performance, enable UPnP on your router to establish a direct connection.

I have UPNP enabled and the MyCloud has a Static IP so I'm not sure what the problem is?

RMerlin; sorry to ask, as it probably been asked many times, but what are the major highlights of v376.47 compared to v374.43 (your own or the recent fork)?

I always thought of v374.43 as very stable, but don't want to lose out on any good update benefits. The FW v376.47 has been ok for me, but not as rock solid as the old one...

RMerlin; sorry to ask, as it probably been asked many times, but what are the major highlights of v376.47 compared to v374.43 (your own or the recent fork)?

I always thought of v374.43 as very stable, but don't want to lose out on any good update benefits. The FW v376.47 has been ok for me, but not as rock solid as the old one...

You will have to compare both my own Changelog and John's. Note that he manually backported some of my improvements that were done after 376.43, such as OpenSSL 1.0.0n.

I mean more of the "official" changes with the latest version... or are there no such thing as official changes?

I mean more of the "official" changes with the latest version... or are there no such thing as official changes?

Not sure what you mean by official changes...

Sorry, I mean are there any big changes to the latest that couldn't be in the fork?

As I said, all my important changes are in the changelog. I linked mine in my post, I think John posts his in his forum thread. Look at what I changed between 374.43 and 376.47, then look at what John took from that list and added to his fork.

Sorry, I mean are there any big changes to the latest that couldn't be in the fork?

My fork does not attempt to chase new added functions...some examples would be the changes to the network map such as being able to rename clients and the new icons, FTP/AICloud syncing, or the recent addition of SNMP support.

What is does pick up are obvious security updates, such as OpenSSL, SHA256 and SHA512 support (others that are buried in the big merge files from ASUS I won't see unless it's a well publicized exploit - none yet that I'm aware of). I also look for general problems that may be addressed and try and assess if they are likely to be widespread. These types of updates I will generally look at integrating after Merlin releases them.

Finally, the fork may pick up a few new 'tweaks' based on things I did for myself and am making available or things that may be user requests, as long as they are simple and do not effect the overall stability of the code.

Think of my fork as a minimal maintenance stream with no significant new functions.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!