What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

/usr/sbin/ntpd -q -n

You can also add " -p SERVER" where SERVER is the hostname or I.P. of an ntp server. If you don't add that, it should use the "server" lines from ntp.conf. You must be using the busybox version of ntpd (i.e. the one at /usr/sbin) for " -p SERVER" to work, in Entware ntpd "-p" is used to give the path to the pid file.

That actually doesn't work on Asuswrt-Merlin (although RMerlin says we shouldn't need to do this, I tried your command anyways):

user@RT-AC86U-AB80:/usr/sbin# /usr/sbin/ntpd -q -n
ntpd: /etc/ntp.conf: No such file or directory
BusyBox v1.25.1 (2019-05-17 23:35:07 EDT) multi-call binary.
[etc.]

Did a clean upgrade to 11.2 on my RT-AC86U - seeing the following in the logs now (might have been blind or just getting older...)

May 5 07:05:07 avahi-daemon[789]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
May 5 07:05:08 lldpd[865]: cannot get ethtool link information with GLINKSETTINGS (requires 4.9+): Operation not permitted
May 5 07:05:11 Mastiff: init
May 19 16:49:49 inadyn[1254]: Failed resolving hostname AD2400442A6866E383E33437FD3F5B367.asuscomm.com: Name or service not known

As I cannot remember having seen thoise before is this anythign to worry about? Thanks!

That actually doesn't work on Asuswrt-Merlin (although RMerlin says we shouldn't need to do this, I tried your command anyways):

user@RT-AC86U-AB80:/usr/sbin# /usr/sbin/ntpd -q -n
ntpd: /etc/ntp.conf: No such file or directory
BusyBox v1.25.1 (2019-05-17 23:35:07 EDT) multi-call binary.
[etc.]
Ahh, probably because there's not /etc/ntp.conf. That'll teach me not to try something.

Use: /usr/sbin/ntpd -q -n -p time.nist.gov

Any news on this script?
Everything works okay except for one major issue. When I add the entries to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add and bounce dnsmasq, I can no longer access the router. I had to factory reset to regain access. I think it is because the existing leases created in the gui and the ones created in dnsmasq conflict. This part needs some work and the reason for the delay. I may need to disable the static assignments in the gui and force a reboot to prevent the duplicate static dhcp reservations.

Last edited:
This part needs some work and the reason for the delay. I may need to disable the static assignments in the gui and force a reboot.
I can confirm that a reboot after the "nvram commit" works with few, if any problems.

I can confirm that a reboot after the "nvram commit" works with few, if any problems.
Thanks @skeal. I'll update the script using that approach then. I want to avoid having to reset and restore my settings all over again.

Finally got my hands on GPL 45717. The piece of code that was worrying me should not be a problem, it should be fairly easy to disable.

Also, very little code changes since 45713, so I suspect that the security issues reported in their changelog are mostly tied to AiCloud.

Finally got my hands on GPL 45717. The piece of code that was worrying me should not be a problem, it should be fairly easy to disable.

Also, very little code changes since 45713, so I suspect that the security issues reported in their changelog are mostly tied to AiCloud.
This will be in 384.12?

Edit: disregard

Last edited:
Strange issue with 384.11.2 Works and performs very well. Done so all Saturday and Sunday. This morning it was all black and not functioning when I woke up. It it set to auto reboot every Monday at 03.00. Had to unplug and plug the wall connector to get it going...any ideas?

Strange issue with 384.11.2 Works and performs very well. Done so all Saturday and Sunday. This morning it was all black and not functioning when I woke up. It it set to auto reboot every Monday at 03.00. Had to unplug and plug the wall connector to get it going...any ideas?
Known issue with AC86U. Some people have it (e.g. me), some people don't (e.g. RMerlin). You shouldn't have needed to plug & unplug the wall connector, there's an on/off pushbutton right above where the power enters the router.

Known issue with AC86U. Some people have it (e.g. me), some people don't (e.g. RMerlin). You shouldn't have needed to plug & unplug the wall connector, there's an on/off pushbutton right above where the power enters the router.
He went old school on the router. I remember back when you'd something like that and the router would lose its settings on the ancient routers.

AC5300 / Network Map / 384-11-2:

Gotta be some "extra" Merlin-Magic ;) in the 384.11 release for this router!
I was reluctant to move off the incredibly stable 384-10-2 ... preferring to wait for updated Asus firmware given this extract from the Change Log on 384.11 ...

Code:
UPDATED: Other models to 384_45713 GPL (RT-AC87U, RT-AC3200 and RT-AC5300 still using 384_45149 binary blobs).

Network Map > Client List ... has been utterly unreliable for several generations of Asus firmware. We have been patiently waiting for a fix to the closed source code from Asus for a loooong time ... and it was claimed to be fixed in "Other models to 384_45713 GPL" which was NOT the case for the AC5300 and the two other models mentioned.

Yet ... for the first time in ages - after installing 384.11_2 - I have a MUCH more stable Network Map > Client list !!!
I can only guess that @RMerlin skilfully pulled in some bits of the binary blobs from "Other models to 384_45713 GPL" and incorporated these into the compile for the AC5300 [maybe along with the "mistaken" inclusion of the "Netool" feature?] ;).

Don't disillusion me - "I'm a believer" ...... in Merlin-Ware that is :D.

Can't wait for 384.12 provided it includes Asus 384.45717 GPL :) where the Network Map feature [along with a bunch of other things] claims to be properly fixed :rolleyes:.

He went old school on the router. I remember back when you'd something like that and the router would lose its settings on the ancient routers.
Jepp...agree. Sometimes it is better to go "Old school"...

Any news on this script?
Installation instructions can be found here: https://github.com/Xentrk/Asuswrt-Merlin-Linux-Shell-Scripts

Code:
Use this utility to save or restore dhcp static list nvram values

[1] - Save nvram dhcp static list to /opt/tmp/dhcp_staticlist.txt
[2] - Restore nvram dhcp static list from /opt/tmp/dhcp_staticlist.txt
[3] - Preview DHCP Static List in dnsmasq format
[4] - Append DHCP Static List to dnsmasq.conf.add & Disable DHCP Manual Assignment
[5] - Disable DHCP Manual Assignment
[6] - Enable DHCP Manual Assignment
[7] - Save nvram dhcp_staticlist to /opt/tmp/dhcp_staticlist.txt and clear dhcp_staticlist
[8] - Display character size of dhcp_staticlist (2999 is the limit)
[e] - Exit

==>

EDIT: added option #8

Last edited:
RT-AC66U-B1 - the same issue. QoS client list is empty too.
Downgrade to 384.10_2
My RT-AC66U_B1 has a good client list. Also shows clients in QOS. Flash, factory reset then flash again.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!