What's new

RT-AC88U 5Ghz disappears after each firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dm2000

Occasional Visitor
I bought this late last year. After every firmware update (which is successful), the router and 2.4Ghz networks work fine, the 5Ghz network for some reason says it's working but the network isn't broadcast. I've been able to downgrade to an older firmware version and get it working each time. I recently tried the latest version of the Merlin firmware and same issue. Any ideas? I have an RMA so may send it in. I have it working again so might just not touch the firmware again.

I thought it was odd but Asus tech support person told me to not update the firmware again if it's working. I said 'isn't the point to always keep up to date for security reasons?'. The hardware seems great but their firmware quality control seems horrible.

I agree that their firmware q&a sucks. I make sure to download a few previous versions before any update!

I have an RMA so may send it in. I have it working again so might just not touch the firmware again.

While having this issue is certainly a big problem, not updating your firmware again is not practical from a security stand point.

While having this issue is certainly a big problem, not updating your firmware again is not practical from a security stand point.
Thanks. That’s exactly what I told tech support when he suggested that. I’ll try Merlin firmware again but lost 5Ghz network with that just like every newer Asus firmware. I would assume it’s a hardware issue at this point. Have searched of course online for similar issue but haven’t come across same problem. Thanks for you help.

Thanks. I went ahead and sent it in to Asus for repair. I tried updating the firmware again and couldn't downgrade back this time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!