Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC88U 5Ghz disappears after each firmware update

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by dm2000, Oct 13, 2017.

1. dm2000

dm2000 New Around Here

I bought this late last year. After every firmware update (which is successful), the router and 2.4Ghz networks work fine, the 5Ghz network for some reason says it's working but the network isn't broadcast. I've been able to downgrade to an older firmware version and get it working each time. I recently tried the latest version of the Merlin firmware and same issue. Any ideas? I have an RMA so may send it in. I have it working again so might just not touch the firmware again.

2. dm2000

dm2000 New Around Here

I thought it was odd but Asus tech support person told me to not update the firmware again if it's working. I said 'isn't the point to always keep up to date for security reasons?'. The hardware seems great but their firmware quality control seems horrible.

3. Rossmon

Rossmon Occasional Visitor

I agree that their firmware q&a sucks. I make sure to download a few previous versions before any update!

4. jim769

jim769 Very Senior Member

While having this issue is certainly a big problem, not updating your firmware again is not practical from a security stand point.

5. dm2000

dm2000 New Around Here

Thanks. That’s exactly what I told tech support when he suggested that. I’ll try Merlin firmware again but lost 5Ghz network with that just like every newer Asus firmware. I would assume it’s a hardware issue at this point. Have searched of course online for similar issue but haven’t come across same problem. Thanks for you help.

6. jim769

jim769 Very Senior Member

7. dm2000

dm2000 New Around Here

Thanks. I went ahead and sent it in to Asus for repair. I tried updating the firmware again and couldn't downgrade back this time.