What's new

Smart Connect manual frequency assignment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

margentieri

Occasional Visitor
My router is a RT-AC5300. I have a TV with a built-in Chromecast, and the Chromecast does NOT want to work properly when on a 5GHz band, but works just fine when on 2.4GHz. Unfortunately, with tri-band smart connect, the Chromecast keeps being placed on one of the 5GHz bands. I can make it work by using 5GHz smart connect and putting the Chromecast on the 2.4GHz band, but I would rather not have to do that. Is there anyway I can specify which band a specific device should use when utilizing smart connect? Thanks!

1. survey your neighborhood for WiFi congestion on both band using WiFi analyzer. Run the survey in the evening when every one is using WiFi devices. Here you take a note which band/channel is best for you.
2. Disable smart connect, then manually select that channel.

You don't seem to be understanding what I'm asking. All my devices on all frequencies work just fine, with the exception of my Chromecast, which is built into my TV. Not to mention the TV is literally feet away from my router. There is something specific about this device that makes it not want to work on 5GHz. I LIKE smart connect and want to keep it. I just want to force this one specific device, and only this device, to always use the 2.4GHz band, while allowing smart connect to handle all other derives as normal. I figure I'd probably need some kind of jffs script to achieve this, it doesn't seem like something that would be impossible to achieve. I just don't know how to go about doing it.

Last edited:
Can't you clear all network connection on the TV ? Then only connect to the 2.4 band. TV should not be able to connect to any ssid that it has no password for.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Can't you clear all network connection on the TV ? Then only connect to the 2.4 band. TV should not be able to connect to any ssid that it has no password for.

If the 3 bands of my router had separate SSID's, sure. The whole thing with Smart Connect is you have a single SSID for all 3 bands, and the router intelligently decides which band is most appropriate for each client to use. The feature works wonderfully for all my other devices, but I get connection issues whenever the TV is connected to one of the two 5GHz bands. A simple solution would be to just not use Smart Connect and create separate SSIDs for each band, but that is a situation I am trying to avoid.

Maybe you can make a 'Guest Network' on 2.4 band. Give it a strong password. 'Access Intranet' on. Let your TV connect with this guest network only. Maybe then de build in Chromecast will function correct?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!