What's new

Wireless Router w Torrent / DC++ download ability to HDD (Internal or Ext USB)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crashnburn

Regular Contributor

Any router that has a good inbuilt (or can be added) torrent client that does good download speeds to a HDD (pref External USB) and can be setup to do so that I do not have to keep my Laptop running.

Any from the manufacturer?

Do I go for one of the WRT (DD WRT or Open WRT / Tomato) varieties of Router Firmware to make this happen?

PS: Would prefer / like Wireless N & Gigabit.

PPS: The EnGenius on the charts looks might good in performance vs price graph.. Can it download by itself onto a HDD?

Any router that has a good inbuilt (or can be added) torrent client that does good download speeds to a HDD (pref External USB) and can be setup to do so that I do not have to keep my Laptop running.

Any from the manufacturer?

Do I go for one of the WRT (DD WRT or Open WRT / Tomato) varieties of Router Firmware to make this happen?

PS: Would prefer / like Wireless N & Gigabit.

PPS: The EnGenius on the charts looks might good in performance vs price graph.. Can it download by itself onto a HDD?

EnGenius doesn't have USB ports. You would need to get NAS that supports P2P. Right now Belkin Play Max, ASUS Routers do and DLINK DIR-685 (this has it's own HDD) YOu can use external one also.

DD-WRT only turns on disabled features in a router. It's not magic though. Now Belkin N+ doesn't have BT support only the Belkin Double N+ does if you live in the UK you can buy such a router. Double N+ offers 2.4GHz and 5GHz speeds there is FTP and BT feature and USB connector.

Thanks. I do have a Synology CS 407 NAS. But I dont want to leave it on all the time.. or do I?

What kind of power usage is the mentioned Router?

EnGenius doesn't have USB ports. You would need to get NAS that supports P2P. Right now Belkin Play Max, ASUS Routers do and DLINK DIR-685 (this has it's own HDD) YOu can use external one also.

DD-WRT only turns on disabled features in a router. It's not magic though. Now Belkin N+ doesn't have BT support only the Belkin Double N+ does if you live in the UK you can buy such a router. Double N+ offers 2.4GHz and 5GHz speeds there is FTP and BT feature and USB connector.

Which of these is price friendly & power friendly (& can download torrents by thenmselves onto a HDD)?

Which of these is price friendly & power friendly (& can download torrents by thenmselves onto a HDD)?

I won't trust these managing BT there is one called Fon Fonera, but no better then these. To me just pick out the best router and use a quiet low power usage system, 4-core or 6-core 4-8gb of RAM 640GB to 1TB or higher if needed HDD, PCI-E Dual Direction Gig. Stick in Vuze on Windows 7 UT64 and call it a day.