What's new

[384.15_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should macro this...

Zero wifi change between both firmwares.
:-D
I can only compare to what I measure and see. Comparison between two RT-AC5300 routers (one with the previous Alpha side by side measured with WiFi Explorer on my Mac.

I can only compare to what I measure and see. Comparison between two RT-AC5300 routers (one with the previous Alpha side by side measured with WiFi Explorer on my Mac.
That's not a completely fair comparison. Really you should test with one AP at a time, in an identical physical position, including antennae arrangement

That's not a completely fair comparison. Really you should test with one AP at a time, in an identical physical position, including antennae arrangement
I did that. FYI: I am not the kind of person that makes remarks for the sake of making remarks.

And most importantly same channel, as higher channels have more output power (especially at close, after several walls it levels out)!

Ok guys, to cut a long story short: the second alpha and latest alpha were tested on the same spot, same configuration. I am not comparing Apples with pears, only that I see a clear signal power difference. Thank you for the input anyway.

Ok guys, to cut a long story short: the second alpha and latest alpha were tested on the same spot, same configuration. I am not comparing Apples with pears, only that I see a clear signal power difference. Thank you for the input anyway.

While I'm not arguing the point, I can sit and watch levels change over a short period of time on any device in my house.
If you were getting 20% differences, then I'd be concerned. Less than that just goes with the technology.

Unless you have high-end RF test equipment in a test chamber.

I've not had one issue in Media Bridge mode on Asus OEM FW. Going to give it a few more days before I'm ready to say there's something in this last round of RMerlins not playing well with Media Bridge mode.

While I'm not arguing the point, I can sit and watch levels change over a short period of time on any device in my house.
If you were getting 20% differences, then I'd be concerned. Less than that just goes with the technology.

I agree, 5% difference is generally statistical at best!
Unless he tests several times both FW with a consistent 5% difference...

Back in the day when doing tests with different RT-N66U wireless driver, I discovered that just by changing the angle at which my laptop screen was open would have a drastic impact on the wireless signal. Which made sense, since the antenna is within the screen frame.

Dear @RMerlin , сould you make the wifi region change menu available in the firmware, as in the Chinese firmware?

That might work in your case, but unfortunately with 5% less I encounter black spots in the coverage in my home.

Back in the day when doing tests with different RT-N66U wireless driver, I discovered that just by changing the angle at which my laptop screen was open would have a drastic impact on the wireless signal. Which made sense, since the antenna is within the screen frame.

... maybe that's the explanation - the un-changed code module has been moved a couple of lines up and down in the overall source code and therefore the lower signal?? :)

Last edited:
That might work in your case, but unfortunately with 5% less I encounter black spots in the coverage in my home.

It's not a matter of "My case", it's just how the technology works.

It's not a matter of "My case", it's just how the technology works.
I do not thing he understood any of us at all; I tried to be clear, and especially RMerlin vas concise...

@SheikhSheikha No one is discussing whether 5% is important or not; but the fact that if your tests are not exactly identical conditions and all, and repeated several times they are not relevant.
Thus the same channel, the test device must be at the exact same spot (as RMerlin said, even a slight difference of angle the results differ greatly), even time of day is important (the sole amount of traffic over WiFi plays a role on noise - the neighbors I mean) etc.

Try even on the same FW several test at different time periods, and you will probably see even more than 5% difference...

I mean this is common on internet forums. You tell them that 2+2 = 4 and next 10 comments will argue if its 3,9 4,1 or 4,2 and tell you to recheck when you clearly told them that 2 + 2 = 4 . Idk this is some sh*t for psychologists.

I do not thing he understood any of us at all; I tried to be clear, and especially RMerlin vas concise...

@SheikhSheikha No one is discussing whether 5% is important or not; but the fact that if your tests are not exactly identical conditions and all, and repeated several times they are not relevant.
Thus the same channel, the test device must be at the exact same spot (as RMerlin said, even a slight difference of angle the results differ greatly), even time of day is important (the sole amount of traffic over WiFi plays a role on noise - the neighbors I mean) etc.

Try even on the same FW several test at different time periods, and you will probably see even more than 5% difference...
Indeed everybody was concise but apparently not in language that I understood. Your answer puts it all in perspective. I am a poweruser and understand how things work but it does not make me the mister know it all on routers and indeed I might not use the same semantics to express my observations and experiences.

Let me give you the background of my observations:

When I test I look at speed, coverage and the performance of devices which are all Apple (Macbooks, iPads, AppleTV and iPhones.
As I live in a country where Facetime, Microsoft Teams, Whatsapp calling, Skype etc are blocked the use of an VPN client that breaks the blockade is the lifeline for my family to keep in touch overseas. Up to 384.13 the routers were covering my house without any complaints.
384.14 raised a lot of remarks in my family that they encountered disconnections and it turned out that the signal strength had gone down and my floors were no longer completely covered. (returning to 384.13 solved these problems).

With 384.15 Alpha1 the signal considerably improved, even better than 384.13.
384.15_alpha1-gbbe574ca0d has given a result that I have again black spots and disconnections and measuring with WiFi Explorer gave it 5% less signal, hence I reported this.

My test is done by taking both routers to the same spot in my house. And compare one after another (I know I wrote side by side but what I meant was in place of (and yes, the exact same place).

My Macbook is in a dock so it is always in the same place. That is where I measure with WiFi Explorer an that gave the % difference that I reported.
(I have hardly interference from neighbours, I can see some 1% signals on 2.4GHz and no one on 5GHz) (The only variable that I know of that has changed recently is that two 5G cellphone networks have gone live on (3.3GHz-3.8GHz range), which I assume do not interfere).
What I did not report is that this % difference causes that the coverage in my house is no longer complete, which I know the AC5300 can do.

It is a pity, though understandable, to notice that my remark on the signal strength is wrongfully used by flooding me with all kind of technical reasons why I am wrong and it is not important.

For me it is important that my routers cover my house and that the family can facetime. With the lastest Alpha I experience that my house is no longer covered with the signal from the routers.

I translated that into measuring the signal strength and apparently that was wrong and even assumed that reporting the % difference could be a form of input. Apparently that thought was wrong. Lesson learnt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!