What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@rgnldo

i'm using the 'unlimited' keywork on "Extra Options"

cake-qos status shows:

Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: > Download Status:
qdisc cake 800c: dev ifb9eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth unlimited diffserv4 dual-srchost nat wash ingress ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64 no-sce
CakeQOS-Merlin: > Upload Status:
qdisc cake 800b: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth unlimited diffserv4 dual-srchost nat nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64 no-sce

shouldn't it be instead:

Code:
qdisc cake 800c: dev ifb9eth0 root refcnt 2 unlimited diffserv4 dual-srchost nat wash ingress ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64 no-sce
qdisc cake 800b: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 unlimited diffserv4 dual-srchost nat nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64 no-sce

that is, the "bandwidth' keyword is used to specify speeds, and it takes a numeric parameter. If you already have "unlimited" the 'bandwidth' keyword should be removed. or did I misread the man page?
I'm not sure if people have spotted this in the thread but the validation of the bandwidth fields has been updated to allow you to enter 0 as a bandwidth value which is interpreted by cake as unlimited. This allows you to set unlimited in only one direction, or both as required.

If using this method you do not need to specify it in the extra options

I'm not sure if people have spotted this in the thread but the validation of the bandwidth fields has been updated to allow you to enter 0 as a bandwidth value which is interpreted by cake as unlimited. This allows you to set unlimited in only one direction, or both as required.

thanks. i noticed it early this morning, and i'm already using it to set unlimited only on the UL.
Code:
[1]  --> Download Speed             | [300 Mbit]
[2]  --> Upload Speed               | [0 Mbit]
[3]  --> Queue Priority             | [besteffort]
[4]  --> Extra Options              | [docsis dual-srchost ack-filter]

qdisc cake 8020: dev ifb9eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 300Mbit besteffort dual-srchost nat wash ingress ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64 no-sce
qdisc cake 801f: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth unlimited besteffort dual-srchost nat nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64 no-sce

still looking for a way to try these two other options via script:

1. use autorate-ingress only on the UL
  2. enable cake only on the UL
that is, assuming they are valid configurations

Last edited:

Thanks for that, I’m back to my normal speeds with A+ A A+ [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

would you mind sharing what changes you made? Thanks Brum
If you edit the cake-qos script using nano, I search for the word "wash" to find the correct section. You should see the two lines of code which form the two cake command lines near a few lines apart. If you can't identify them I would suggest not editing the script.

EDIT: I have been removing the nowash from my download to see if it helps with utilisation of the diffserv4 tins, and also played with autorate-ingress in a single direction. All for testing purposes.

I am also aware that there is development ongoing to allow options to be specified separately for upload and download so it might be as easy to wait for that release.

If you edit the cake-qos script using nano, I search for the word "wash" to find the correct section. You should see the two lines of code which form the two cake command lines near a few lines apart. If you can't identify them I would suggest not editing the script.

EDIT: I have been removing the nowash from my download to see if it helps with utilisation of the diffserv4 tins, and also played with autorate-ingress in a single direction. All for testing purposes.

I am also aware that there is development ongoing to allow options to be specified separately for upload and download so it might be as easy to wait for that release.
i'll wait :)

thanks. i noticed it early this morning, and i'm already using it to set unlimited only on the UL.

still looking for a way to try these two other options via script:

1. use autorate-ingress only on the UL
  2. enable cake only on the UL
that is, assuming they are valid configurations
If you completely disable cake on the download you'll fall back to the original queue management - wouldn't it be better to use unlimited bandwidth to disable the bandwidth limit/shaping? My line isn't fast enough but my guess is that this would work really well if you have enough download bandwidth to never really hit the limits, and I'd be particularly to interested in how it performs if you're hitting the performance limits of cake on download in an asymmetric configuration.

At the moment the only way to try autorate-ingress in a single direction is to manually edit the script, but this should be available in an upcoming release.

If you completely disable cake on the download you'll fall back to the original queue management - wouldn't it be better to use unlimited bandwidth to disable the bandwidth limit/shaping? My line isn't fast enough but my guess is that this would work really well if you have enough download bandwidth to never really hit the limits, and I'd be particularly to interested in how it performs if you're hitting the performance limits of cake on download in an asymmetric configuration.

At the moment the only way to try autorate-ingress in a single direction is to manually edit the script, but this should be available in an upcoming release.

my comcast line is a bit moody.
contracted speeds is 600/15
tops at about 550/17 (my netgear modem tops at 550)

i can use cake on the DL but it tops at 300Mbps.
i'm not so worried about bufferbloat on the DL because i rarely saturate it.

on the other hand, my UL speed varies during work hours. from 2 to 18Mbps.
and it has really bad bufferbloat when saturated. and it saturates often

that's why i want to try those two configurations targeting UL only.

but i suspect (from the tests done so far) that i'll end up using cake "unlimited", in both directions (because the DL might not saturate often, but it does at times; and i was planning to downgrade my contract to 300/10).
assuming my UL cake "unlimited" setting mode delivers the goods, during the Monday work hours, i'll be set :)

Last edited:
i can use cake on the DL but it tops at 300Mbps.
i'm not so worried about bufferbloat on the DL because i rarely saturate it.
Do you hit the same performance ceiling with download set to unlimited?
assuming my UL cake "unlimited" setting mode delivers the goods, during the Monday work hours, i'll be set :)
I found (UL only) that I got a slow ramp up in speed using autorate-ingress but bufferbloat remained quite good, however unlimited lets me hit max speed instantly but suffers from more bufferbloat/latency.

Do you hit the same performance ceiling with download set to unlimited?

I found (UL only) that I got a slow ramp up in speed using autorate-ingress but bufferbloat remained quite good, however unlimited lets me hit max speed instantly but suffers from more bufferbloat/latency.

on the DL, independently of using "unlimited" or hard limit, my ax88 tops at 300Mbps (no matter what). maybe slightly less with "unlimited" (285Mbps, close enough that it could be network variances during speed test). If i disable cake on the DL, and keep it on the UL only, i get 410Mbps. much faster, but still lower than my line capacity, so it avoids bufferbloat by speed limitation (410<550).

on the UL i have a similar experience as yours (autorate vs unlimited). but i need to repeat the test on a week day during workhours, when my neighborhood node is congested.

now, my understanding is that cake is also useful to prevent a single client from monopolizing the connection, it's not just about bufferbloat.
so i plan to keep cake in both directions - i prefer 300Mbps fairly shared vs 500 that can be cannibalized by a single client.
(BTW, on paper, flexqos should be an option too, but i got ZERO bufferbloat control with it, when i tested it. in fact, i got packet loss if i saturated the lines. wondering if anyone on this thread had a different experience with it)

Last edited:
As I continue to say we welcome more "bakers" for the remaining two routers :)

@Odkrys has laid the foundation with the ipks...I am curious on "how" to go about building additional packages etc. in order to maintain latest/greatest.

@robcore work on Post 1 with GUI add-on also has me stoked but not sure how to go about developing that piece. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-i-built-cake.49190/

I am guessing the likes of @dave14305 @Jack Yaz @Adamm are more the wizards there.

are these the build instructions?
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/#installing-cake-out-of-tree-on-linux
how does one specify the correct build target for a given router?

Nice!

Start CakeQoS
Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: Starting - ( 0Mbit | 0Mbit | diffserv3 | unlimited ack-filter dual-srchost )

bb.png

Stop CakeQoS
Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: Stopping
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG enabled.

:(

bb2.png

bb2-png.24384

Last edited:
i'm done with my autorate-ingress vs unlimited test, and i'll be using unlimited going forward.
with autorate i get lower DL top speed and the UL experiences higher bufferbloat while the autorate catches up with the line conditions. unlimited is smoother on the UL and faster on the DL. fixed limit is better but my UL doesn't work well with a fixed limit unfortunately.
now: stop looking at pingplotter and just download the rest of the internet,
next: how do i make sure the cake binaries have the latest goodies (commits), and stay fresh?

Last edited:
Best performance and throughput. :) I was right about the dynamic option.
I don't believe in QoS. I bet on CakeQOS as a dynamic solution for congestion and latency.
It is neither heavy nor difficult to implement at FW Merlin.
Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: Starting - ( 0Mbit | 0Mbit | besteffort | unlimited ack-filter dual-srchost )
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG disabled.
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache flushing the flows

bb3.png

Last edited:
Hey,

Can you more knowledgeable guys @maghuro @Adamm @jackiechun @ttgapers @rgnldo @brummygit @ugandy help me please with what cake extra option settings i could try with my connection, see attached modem info?

Thankyou :) P.S. VDSL2 pppoe, modem is bridge-mode to ac86u - mostly used for streaming and partners fb addiction!

Last edited:
Try
Code:
( 0Mbit | 0Mbit | besteffort | unlimited bridged-ptm ack-filter dual-srchost )

Ive just tried those settings here, I actually got better scores than before

Screenshot at 2020-06-30 09-01-51.png

Try
Code:

Thanks @rgnldo - happy you are loving the simplicity. I do.

@TechTinkerer - let us know about the above. Outside of that you know the KISS theory. But it seems lots of testing is being done with 0 up/0 down besteffort setup.....

dual-srchost is interesting vs the defaults as well!

Try
Code:
the speed tesults wildly flucuate as well a buffer bloatscores worst i've had is C

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!