What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It would probably be good to change all occurrences since they are related to each other.

I had an ifb9eth0 interface on my AX3000, but not an ifb9eth4 (I used ifconfig to see what existing interfaces were there). For that reason I did not change those entries on mine.

I had an ifb9eth0 interface on my AX3000, but not an ifb9eth4 (I used ifconfig to see what existing interfaces were there). For that reason I did not change those entries on mine.
That's fine for now. The cake-qos script creates ifb9eth0 to handle download traffic. There would be little harm, as long as you stopped cake, made the change, then started cake. But I'm already raising enough of a ruckus in this thread. :oops:

works better now in terms of buffer bloat but i'm only getting 20/10 speed on my 50/20 connection

@dave14305

Do you mind sharing your cake settings? Are you using the optional settings as well? How do you compare Flex vs Cake?

Most people love Flex due to the management of qos and they can see how their network traffic is working in real-time. Cake on the other hand is a simple set and forget that sometimes i forget im using cake but it does traffic management well.

I enjoy both and im glad we have options!!!

@dave14305

Do you mind sharing your cake settings? Are you using the optional settings as well? How do you compare Flex vs Cake?

Most people love Flex due to the management of qos and they can see how their network traffic is working in real-time. Cake on the other hand is a simple set and forget but does it well.

I enjoy both and im glad we have options!!!
I didn't do any customizing of CAKE at all, I only used besteffort and plugged in my bandwidth numbers. But now I've made the 86U the primary router this morning, so I've switched back to FlexQoS (I have to "eat my own dog food"). I will "play" with CAKE as a sub-hobby to my QoS hobby and see if there are ways I can contribute to this project. My evil plan is "all your QoS are belong to us!" :cool:

works better now in terms of buffer bloat but i'm only getting 20/10 speed on my 50/20 connection

After correcting the configuration on mine, my 150/20 dropped to around 115/18 (speedtests without load on the network). I wondered if there was an inherent hardware limitation I was bumping up against, or this is normal for cake-QOS to not allocate all of the bandwidth to any particular connection. I wouldn't think what you are seeing is caused by hardware (it should easily be able to pump 50 even with runner/flow cache disabled), so maybe this is just how cake-qos works? I don't know enough about it yet, so I would defer to the knowledge of others.

Installed CakeQoS today on my AX-58U and I noticed the following error if I Start/Stop/Uninstall CakeQoS.

Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: Stopping
/opt/bin/cake-qos: line 745: runner: not found
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG enabled.
CakeQOS-Merlin: Starting - ( 69Mbit | 29Mbit | besteffort | docsis nowash regional | docsis ack-filter regional )
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG disabled.
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache flushing the flows

#########################################################

[*] Press Enter To Continue...

Last edited:
Installed CakeQoS today on my AX-58U and I noticed the following error if I Start/Stop/Uninstall CakeQoS.

Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: Starting - ( 69Mbit | 29Mbit | besteffort | docsis nowash regional | docsis ack-filter regional )

that happens after uninstalling cake?

Woody Allen said:
“I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member.”
But Groucho Marx said it first.

Code:

I had this issue too on my AX3000/AX-58U. After manually changing all instances of eth0 to eth4 in the cake script this error stopped (and also cake started working)...

I had this issue too on my AX3000/AX-58U. After manually changing all instances of eth0 to eth4 in the cake script this error stopped (and also cake started working)...

Checked with the previously recommended command which interface my wan uses and
forked cakeqos on GIT and also replaced every eth0 with eth4 in the script. Then installed it via the edited Setup command.

Now sometimes after manually stopping and starting cakeqos this error appears.

Edit:
I even tryd to uninstall my forked (edited version) and used the original setup steps. The error still remains sometimes if I try to start/stop or uninstall cakeqos.

I even wonder if there is a simple command to check if cakeqos is even successfully running.

All: keep it simple by using defaults and things just work. Specify the following:
- upload speed
- download speed
- besteffort
- line type (ethernet, dsl, docus)

That's it. As simple as cake :-}

So after changing script to eth4 and restarting my router, I have finally got cake-qos working great on my AX3000/AX58U.

This is on my 50/20 VDSL (NBN in Oz) connection with cake settings

CakeQOS-Merlin: Starting - ( 50Mbit | 20Mbit | besteffort | bridged-ptm | bridged-ptm )

Thanks to everyone for all the help/input.

1606949290515.png

Checked with the previously recommended command which interface my wan uses and
forked cakeqos on GIT and also replaced every eth0 with eth4 in the script. Then installed it via the edited Setup command.

Now sometimes after manually stopping and starting cakeqos this error appears.

Edit:
I even tryd to uninstall my forked (edited version) and used the original setup steps. The error still remains sometimes if I try to start/stop or uninstall cakeqos.

I even wonder if there is a simple command to check if cakeqos is even successfully running.
Just to confirm I also get this error intermittently after making the required changes to the wan interface

I've been having a few laggy connections recently. I've been using FlexQoS and want to eliminate that as a potential problem (it is probably Virgin that's at fault - I'm paying for 300Mbps but currently getting 200Mbps).

I uninstalled FlexQoS and installed CakeQoS.

Are these Entware isn't ready warnings normal?

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX88U 384.19_0 Fri Aug 14 19:20:07 UTC 2020
username@RT-AX88U-8480:/tmp/home/root# mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin
/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/master/cake-
qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/c
ake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

## _ ##
## | | ##
## ___ __ _ | | __ ___ __ _ ___ ___ ##
## / __|/ _` || |/ // _ \ ______ / _` | / _ \ / __| ##
## | (__ |(_| || <| __/|______| (_| || (_) |\__ \ ##
## \___|\__,_||_|\_\\___| \__, | \___/ |___/ ##
## | | ##
## |_| ##
## ##
## https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin ##
## v1.0.5 ##
## ##

CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #1
CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #2
CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #3
CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #4
CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #5
CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #6
CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #7
CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #8
CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #9
CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #10
/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos: line 745: opkg: not found
CakeQOS-Merlin: Updating sched-cake-oot_2020-06-25-48979385-ax_aarch64-3.10.ipk Failed)
CakeQOS-Merlin: Updating tc-adv_4.16.0-git-20191110_aarch64-3.10.ipk Failed)

Please enter your download speed:

[Mbit]: 200

Please enter your upload speed:

[Mbit]: 20

Select Queue Priority Type:
[1] --> besteffort (default)
[2] --> diffserv3
[3] --> diffserv4
[4] --> diffserv8

[1-4]: 1

Please enter your extra download options:
[Options]:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!