What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes,

I understand that is the next logical step. However, so many others have reported doing that and called no joy, that I would prefer to wait for an upgrade option.

I don't have the time or the patience to deal with the family while I restore all my settings only for the issue to persist.

Started to have issues with the previous version too after the upgrade and subsequent downgrade. So, just bit the bullet and upgraded to this version (again) and factory reset. This must really be a significant version, as the factory reset worked.

The Asus network list issue was the biggest pain in the arse as not all my clients (around 30) ended up showing up, which made adding static IP entries also painful. It is however done and fine.

No internet disconnection issues either, however did automatically disable the internet down redirect and selected dns for measuring internet up.

Seems, no matter how painful, sometimes factory reset is just the way.

My apologizes. I tried to install the firmware, and it was unsuccessful. Any ideas on why?
Make sure you get the correct firmware file....not the 86U file but the 68U file.

Which firmware are you upgrading from? If it is an old version you may have to upgrade earlier versions first.

You got the wrong file. Your link says RT-AC86U. You need the RT-AC68U file. :)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/Release/RT-AC68U_384.9_0.zip/download
For the love of God! I must be half asleep or something to not catch that lmao. Thanks a ton! Hopefully this firmware will fix my wifi issues I'm having. The moment I download a file on my PC, everything else becomes slow :| Mind you, I have 200mbps to play with. Not sure why this is happening. Same thing happens if I download something on my PS4, my PC becomes slow and streaming seems to buffer.

@RMerlin,

On my RT-AC86U does this version not working very well? DHCP list that is suddenly empty, Wi-Fi lists that do not show names and he occasionally loses the connection to the internet. I have restored the previous version as a test.

Can this be caused by USB? with Devision on it?

@RMerlin,

On my RT-AC86U does this version not working very well? DHCP list that is suddenly empty, Wi-Fi lists that do not show names and he occasionally loses the connection to the internet. I have restored the previous version as a test.

Can this be caused by USB? with Devision on it?
Have a read of this thread.
You will see feedback from others who are testing as well.
If you read the content you will find your answer.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

So I got the Merlin firmware to install. All went well. Question regarding CPU temps. What should the CPU temp be at while running on these routers? In this new firmware, there is a termpature tab which is awesome! The CPU temp reads 80 degree's celsius. After blowing the air vents, I brought the temp down to 73. Not sure if the 80 degree's is what caused my wifi to choke and become slow when a device is downloading something.

Flashed my 68U a couple days ago and internet feels much snappier than before... I know that doesn't mean much, but I'm very happy with this build.

In the new firmware, I am getting a ton of these recurring entries on my RT-AC5300:

Feb 16 10:52:24 dnsmasq[323]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted

Any ideas?

Just have to ask:
When using vpnclient and except for requests then it wont work.
mobil is completly bypassed and DNS is leaking. Same with Exclusiv and strict rule.
it's inserting a: "/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I DNSVPN1 -s 192.168.12.134 -j RETURN" rule.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Policy-based-routing

Code:
PC1        192.168.12.112    0.0.0.0        VPN
mobil        192.168.12.134    0.0.0.0        VPN
mobil-bypass    192.168.12.134    10.10.10.10     WAN <<<=== this not working as is should

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -N DNSVPN1
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -A DNSVPN1 -s 192.168.12.112 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.165.9.158
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -A DNSVPN1 -s 192.168.12.134 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.165.9.158
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I DNSVPN1 -s 192.168.12.134 -j RETURN
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j DNSVPN1
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 -j DNSVPN1

Last edited:
Just have to ask:
When using vpnclient and except for requests then it wont work.
mobil is completly bypassed and DNS is leaking. Same with Exclusiv and strict rule.
it's inserting a: "/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I DNSVPN1 -s 192.168.12.134 -j RETURN" rule.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Policy-based-routing

Code:
PC1        192.168.12.112    0.0.0.0        VPN
mobil        192.168.12.134    0.0.0.0        VPN
mobil-bypass    192.168.12.134    10.10.10.10     WAN <<<=== this not working as is should

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -N DNSVPN1
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -A DNSVPN1 -s 192.168.12.112 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.165.9.158
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -A DNSVPN1 -s 192.168.12.134 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.165.9.158
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I DNSVPN1 -s 192.168.12.134 -j RETURN
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j DNSVPN1
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 -j DNSVPN1

The router has no way of figuring out how to handle rules that also combine exceptions such as yours. The instant you forward a certain device through the tunnel with DNS set to exclusive mode, a DNSVPN rule gets inserted.

Preparing to perform a long-overdue firmware update. Its been running smoothly, so ignored it for quite a while!

Currently running 376.49_5. Been reading the Wiki, and I think I understand, but just want to make sure, as the WiFi here is pretty important to many things!

Due to partition changes, to flash the newest Merlin release, says my RT-AC68U needs to be at least on firmware 378.55 before I can flash 380.xx - which I assume also means before I can flash 384.9.

So - I need to first flash (Merlin) 378.55 (or .56) and then flash again to the latest 384.9 - correct? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I think I know the answer from reading the wiki, just want to be sure before getting into a mess!

Thanks in advance...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!