What's new

unable to load icloud webpage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldtimer99

New Around Here
We have been using an rt-ax86u in a very small office setting for months without issue. A few weeks back, someone reported they cannot log into their icloud account on a windows 10 pc. There is nothing restricted on this network. I ran a tracert to icloud.com and it times out after the 7th hop. We're using Spectrum/Charter as our provider and they have been less than helpful. Tried mulitple browsers - same results. Tried ipad and iphone using wifi - same results. Also tried wired clients - same result... I have been digging online and trying different things but nothing seems to work. The rt-ax86 is not heavily customized. Any ideas on where to look? Thanks as ever...

Welcome to the forums @oldtimer99.

Have you asked the user to Restart (not shutdown, then power up) their PC?

Rebooting pc didnt help. Resetting router and cable modem didnt help. Tried changing DNS servers - didnt help. Found a thread someplace that said there might have been problems with a bad cert store. Chased that rabbit hole for about an hour - no change.

Just noticed the 'cloud' account was iCloud. Good luck.

Is the PC fully updated on Windows 10? Is it capable of running Windows 11?

Yes - fully updated. We have 5 of them in the small office. None of them can render the page. 1 user has a macbook and that fails as well.

Yes - fully updated. We have 5 of them in the small office. None of them can render the page. 1 user has a macbook and that fails as well.

Is your ISP provided device a plain modem (or router in bridge mode) or a router?

If it is a modem or router in bridge:
Try to force a new WAN IP on the Asus. For some ISPs, this is as simple as turning off the WAN on the asus (in the GUI, this releases the IP), rebooting the modem, then turning the WAN back on. For other providers you need to power off the modem, clone any LAN MAC address to the WAN on the Asus, then power the modem back on. Make note of the Asus WAN IP before and after and once it is different, try the icloud again.

If the ISP device is a router, you need to try to get a new IP on that. Somewhere in the GUI it may have a release DHCP lease, or rebooting it may be enough. If it has a clone MAC feature you can try that also.

Basically it sounds like the WAN IP is blacklisted or has a routing issue, you probably got that IP a few weeks ago after a power outage, reboot, ISP maintenance, etc.

So are they trying to login via the icloud client on Win/Mac?

What specifically happens when they log into their Apple ID using Chrome?

On their iPhone, settings, username at top, icloud
Scroll to bottom and Toggle On Access iCloud Data On The Web
This has been a feature since last December

If this is not toggled on, you can’t use it on the web

drinking bird's explanation seems the most likely. I had a brief discussion with charters l2 rtech about that and he more or less blew me off.

I know about the setting on the iphone for the toggle to access icloud data on the web.

to eliminate any wonkyness on their desktops, i brought in my laptop - same behavior...

thanks for all of the suggestions so far...

Is the ax86 on default setting or are some features turned on that are off by default?

Still haven’t seen the answer to the question: What specifically happens when they try to login on the browser?

Occasionally, the browser reports a connection error. A few times the browser has showed apple in letters at the top left of the screen and then spins. Otherwise the browser just spins…

Are they able to sign into their AppleID's from here: https://appleid.apple.com/
I know it's a different website, and signing into your AppleID account does not seem to also sign you into the iCloud website, however my train of thought is wether both are blocked or just iCloud website access.

Quick question - are there any third party scripts running like Diversion or similar?

In addition to the Diversion question asked, if not running Diversion are you running Pi-Hole and or Unbound? Are you running any ad blocking programs or script blocking programs on the computers/web browsers? Basically are you running any other programs or scripts that would impact or filter web browsing?

Im thinking its a router/blacklist issue since the tracert timesout…

Here is some info/methods on how to force a new WAN IP.

there was no one in the office this am s i had about an 1/2 hr to work on this. just for kicks, i connected my laptop directly to the cable modem and i was able to successfully access icloud.com - page came up fast. no issues...

reset the asus rt-ax86u to factory - icloud access failed. restored the latest config , access to icloud failed again.

nothing else fails.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!