What's new

Wireless router for IP cameras

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lewis

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I'm looking to replace a portable wireless router we're using as it doesn't have port forwarding capabilities. The intention is to run two to three IP cameras for surveillance, as each camera will be viewed directly and not through an NVR, I need to set up two or three ports forwards. So I need port forwarding, good throughput for high def video 3mp, and a nice wireless range so I can place the cameras where I want them.
Looking at ASUS RT-AC56U ASUS 802.11ac Dual-Band Wireless-AC1200 Gigabit Router RT-AC56U
and
ASUS RT-N66U ASUS Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router RT-N66U
Thoughts? Alternatives?
Thanks - Lewis

Most any router has port-forwarding these days.
I suggest not over-buying with $$$ bleeding edge 11ac. Unless you find a good deal and read the ratings here.
I'm in the camp that says WiFi routers for the home should be $75 or less. That's just me.

you'll need a Dynamic DNS service (some are free). And a router supporting that.
Some cameras help cope with this by using proxy servers at the camera vendor.. for $.

Go with N

If you are buying the router just to be able to set up the IP cameras then go with a basic N class router.

Check the frequency of the cameras you are using and if it's 2.4ghz you could save money by buying just a single rather than dual band. Yo will be able to place the cameras further away from the router as the 2.4 channel reaches further,

The TP Link 841 is a best seller on Amazon ($20 odd) and there is. High power version ... I had it and it was really powerful.

Hi Polar, those are affordable wifi routers! Cameras are N in the 2.4 band, but occasionally someone connects with MacBook Pro, iPhone or iPad so I wonder if a dual band would be better? None of these are AC at this time. If so any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using an RT-N66U with about 6 wireless ip cameras, it copes easily.
I use the asus DDNS for remote viewing (tinycam monitor in android phone).
I've set up about 4 similar systems for other people, no one has yet come back with any problems. As far as ip cameras go, the android cameras are much better, more stable, easier to set up cheaper and can get them anywhere compared to my my foscam cameras.
I can also view the recorded videos remotely from my phone using gdrive.

Paul