What's new

AC88U AC88U Error while configuring Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Osvaldo Ferreira

New Around Here
Every time I try to insert an IP into the DHCP list, it gives the following error:
AC88-UMerlin.png

How to Fix It?

Note 1: No equipment in the DHCP list has access to the network or the internet.
Note 2: I have already reset the router to the factory settings.
Note 3: I tested with Firmware 384.6, 384.7, 384.7_1, 384.7_2.
Note 4: The DHCP list only works if I uploads the router settings that were previously saved, so if I try to edit the list the problem comes back.

Last edited:
Every time I try to insert an IP into the DHCP list, it gives the following error:
How to Fix It?
Note 1: No equipment in the DHCP list has access to the network or the internet.
Note 2: I have already reset the router to the factory settings.
Note 3: I tested with Firmware 384.6, 384.7, 384.7_1, 384.7_2.
Note 4: The DHCP list only works if I uploads the router settings that were previously saved, so if I try to edit the list the problem comes back.
While it shouldn't matter, I always use a DHCP range that matches subnet masks.
Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 10.49.43 AM.jpg
I don't see an error in your image. Could you advise as to what the message states? Also, with the failing configuration, confirm that your WAN connection is not using the 192.168.0.0 network.

Your NVRAM appears to be corrupted or perhaps you have no more space in left in NVRAM.

Check your NVRAM usage on the "Tools" page. Otherwise, SSH into the router and issue the following commands:
Code:
# nvram set dhcp_staticlist=""
# nvram commit
# service reboot

P.S. Setting such a small DHCP pool is generally not a good idea. Unless you have a specific reason for doing so leave it at 2 to 254.

Last edited:
Please verify that the router ip and subnet mask are in the same subnet as your dhcp range.

Your DHCP range is 192.168.0.0/24
Default for the router is 192.168.1.0/24

Also, please do a ifconfig or a ipconfig from one of the workstations and post the results here. We are looking to see what ip address, default gateway, and dns settings are.

While it shouldn't matter, I always use a DHCP range that matches subnet masks.
View attachment 14980
I don't see an error in your image. Could you advise as to what the message states? Also, with the failing configuration, confirm that your WAN connection is not using the 192.168.0.0 network.

Chief,
The router defaults to a /24 subnet mask. You need to make sure all of the workstations have a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. Your default gw always needs to be in the same subnet as your workstatations even when they are the same vlan.

The dhcp scope specificies the ip's that are issued from the subnet of the router lan interface.

Last edited:
@agilani @ApexRon Look at the errors at the bottom of his screen shot. This is nothing to do with IP address ranges, subnet masks, gateways or vlans.

What errors?

Look at what he is showing in his subnet calculator...

The static ip addresses also don't appear to be part of the dhcp scope. I'm not sure that the asus dhcp server is sophisticated enough to handle this.

He still needs to check his subnet for the lan interface and show us what his dhcp server is handing out. The symptoms he is describing is basic subnet mismatch.

Last edited:
What errors?
The "Manually assigned" list at the bottom of the page is corrupted. We've seen things like this before and it's usually caused by a corruption of the NVRAM variables. That in turn maybe caused running out of space in NVRAM or the presence of non-alphanumeric characters in some variable.

Look at what he is showing in his subnet calculator...

The static ip addresses also don't appear to be part of the dhcp scope.
What static addresses? I see only one, 192.68.0.51.

I'm not sure that the asus dhcp server is sophisticated enough to handle this.
Provided any addresses are within the subnet it doesn't matter whether they are inside or outside of the DHCP pool. dnsmasq is not like Microsoft.

He still needs to check his subnet for the lan interface and show us what his dhcp server is handing out. The symptoms he is describing is basic subnet mismatch.
The symptoms he is describing is a corrupted web interface. If he fixes that he can enter some valid information, which is his stated problem.

The "Manually assigned" list at the bottom of the page is corrupted. We've seen things like this before and it's usually caused by a corruption of the NVRAM variables. That in turn maybe caused running out of space in NVRAM or the presence of non-alphanumeric characters in some variable.

The symptoms he is describing is a corrupted web interface. If he fixes that he can enter some valid information, which is his stated problem.

ah, i thought this post was from the op which shows the wrong subnet.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ed-ip-around-the-dhcp-list.49660/#post-441577

I'm not saying its not corrupted nvram...

Note 2: I have already reset the router to the factory settings. - this would have cleared nvram correct? Unless he is trying to restore an older config which is causing the corruption?

Cleaning the nvram did not solve, the router uses only half of it.
I returned with the original firmware to test and it worked, so I went back to Merlin's and the error returned. It follows the syslog with the original firmware and the other with the Merlin.
Note: The ips may differ from the image, because every time I change the firmware I reset the router to the factory settings.
I'll put the syslog link, because the forum did not accept to upload it or put as a quote.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtwckasxo8k09n2/syslog-firmware Merlin.txt?dl=0

Provided any addresses are within the subnet it doesn't matter whether they are inside or outside of the DHCP pool. dnsmasq is not like Microsoft.

I am only using 1 ip number for test, it is more than 20 ip that I use there.

ah, i thought this post was from the op which shows the wrong subnet.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ed-ip-around-the-dhcp-list.49660/#post-441577

I'm not saying its not corrupted nvram...

Note 2: I have already reset the router to the factory settings. - this would have cleared nvram correct? Unless he is trying to restore an older config which is causing the corruption?

The error only occurs when you enter a new ip in the list or by modifying an existing one. As I said if I upload a saved config before the error, it does not present the problem.

Attachments

• syslog-firmware original.txt
    17.3 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Code:
Nov  3 07:37:10 dnsmasq[1501]: bad DHCP host name at line 22 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
Nov  3 07:37:10 dnsmasq[1501]: FAILED to start up
We need to look at this file to understand the problem. It might be a bug in the newer version of dnsmasq or some other change. Can you SSH into the router and print that file?
Code:
# cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf

Code:
Nov  3 07:37:10 dnsmasq[1501]: bad DHCP host name at line 22 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
Nov  3 07:37:10 dnsmasq[1501]: FAILED to start up
We need to look at this file to understand the problem. It might be a bug in the newer version of dnsmasq or some other change. Can you SSH into the router and print that file?
Code:
# cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ils4a1yqewlbiqf/dnsmasq_error.conf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xffif2s7khl6pmh/dnsmasq_normal.conf?dl=0

This feel indeed like the work of a misbehaving add-on modifying the webpage content. The DOM data gets corrupted, and lease data is getting HTML code injected into it.

Thank you all, it was really a SCRIPT (tampermonkey script Linkify Plus Plus) that was giving this error in the Merlin firmware, I checked in the browser console (F12), as john9527 said, had not read the other post below yet, I was deactivating script by script , until the error in the browser console disappears.