What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Canada is: "True North Strong and Free"

The steps call out listing the router in the install command so it know which file to use for the install. I am thinking we should also add the
I want to test it out, but I am waiting to see if anybody has benefited with gigspeeds from comcast.

Give it a whirl. The install/uninstall is documented well enough and you can disable Traditional/Adaptive/FreshJR while running Cake....

E.g. I only uninstalled FreshJR/Daves updates today!

I am also curious on your feedback.

Only supported on HND AFAIK. I assume the installer checks for the architecture to prevent installs on non-HND?

Thanks and yes..only HND, and only the two we have builds for at present. The installer accepts 2 options on install based on router type as per setup instructions.

hm still thinking if I am using the right overhead param. I am using now ether-vlan.
my connection is done via optical cable and @home I have converter and splitter to ethernet and IPTV.

what do you think, is it correct overhead for my connection?
This is correct.

Gotta say, if you have a qualified device, try this out it works really well on my AX88U.

Ac86u here...once the Netflix usage calms down here this evening, I’ll make the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On adaptive, we can choose priorities for cathegories (voip, streaming, websurfing....)
Can someone explain, in plain english, how does Cake works? How does it manage the priorities?

On adaptive, we can choose priorities for cathegories (voip, streaming, websurfing....)
Can someone explain, in plain english, how does Cake works? How does it manage the priorities?

Absent of reading the manual/link on the first page, here's a good description:

TLDR: Key difference is per-host vs per-flow queuing. Took me a little to wrap my head around the concept but it explains why you aren't gonna find what you are looking for here, and also explains Cake's simplicity in that it just works. (Note don't install from that post. Install from this thread)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-i-built-cake.49190/page-3#post-589049

I guess also key for me is that I have yet to see the issue that the OP noted in his experience with not being able to watch Netflix etc. I have has Amazon Prime streaming 4k content while I was on a 15 person Teams call with video on, and even myself presenting content with zero issues. Prior Adaptive/FreshJr etc. I always had issues. Usually I would just turn off Incoming Video and all was well. Not need for that since Cake for me.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

And just to complete the loop... @jackiechun has been discussing diffserv (which can also include other parameters/config options as noted in the Roadmap post).

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/#configuring-cake

It has a paragraph in there under Outbound Configuration that states "If you are interested in what pure AQM alone accomplishes, try the “flowblind” option. If you do not want classification, specify “besteffort”. IF you want to run at line rate for your device, relying instead on backpressure from the ethernet driver (and hopefully BQL) don’t specify the bandwidth."

We currently use "besteffort" thus the comment about host vs. flow.

With both tests above, I achieved a latency of 2ms unloaded and 18 to 20ms loaded with speeds of 440Mbps down and 500Mbps up. On dslreports.com I dropped to A on all categories too.
@L&LD
any special config? I see you reached speeds close to 500Mbps with Cake, but on my install, also on a AX88, it tops at 260Mbps (my connection is docsis 600/15).
did you use the default install or changed some setting? do you have suricata running with Cake (I do)?
thanks

No, nothing special at all @ugandy. I haven't tried Suricata yet either.

I am running RMerlin 384.18 Beta 1 and have been doing a 'dirty' flash of each RMerlin firmware (release, alpha, and beta) since 384.14 Beta3 back on December 7, 2019.

What client device are you doing your testing on? Wired, of course?

Possibly the Fibre Gbps symmetrical connection helps too on my end, along with the i7 desktop processor and Windows 10 running version 2004 on Edge Chromium using fast.com?

No, nothing special at all @ugandy. I haven't tried Suricata yet either.

I am running RMerlin 384.18 Beta 1 and have been doing a 'dirty' flash of each RMerlin firmware (release, alpha, and beta) since 384.14 Beta3 back on December 7, 2019.

What client device are you doing your testing on? Wired, of course?

Possibly the Fibre Gbps symmetrical connection helps too on my end, along with the i7 desktop processor and Windows 10 running version 2004 on Edge Chromium using fast.com?

the speed test is with spdMerlin and 384.18 b1. i normally get 550 (close to my contracted line 600Mbps). but with Cake it drops to 260Mbps. i'd be happier with your numbers :)

the speed test is with spdMerlin and 384.18 b1. i normally get 550 (close to my contracted line 600Mbps). but with Cake it drops to 260Mbps. i'd be happier with your numbers :)

Remember the speedtests are point in time. How busy is your network at the time (number of devices and bandwidth load) might be why...

Note I also use Suricata, but don't have line speeds like you but get consistent speedtest with zero bloat maxing my line speed.

Remember the speedtests are point in time. How busy is your network at the time (number of devices and bandwidth load) might be why...

Note I also use Suricata, but don't have line speeds like you but get consistent speedtest with zero bloat maxing my line speed.

cake has been running for 6hrs now. with spdMerling doing test every 60min on a mostly quiet network. average went from 550 to 260, with one measurement reaching 330Mbps. maybe comcast is having a bad network day, which is not uncommon. :)
bloat is gone and the users at home are happier;
i'll pause suricata to see if it's a factor

One thing I like that FreshJR/Adaptive has that I would imagine CAKE doesn't is the ability to look at the different traffic categories per client. Any chance CAKE has or would have something similar to that? I believe from what I'm reading and understanding it wouldn't based on the simple, it just works comments, but I do like diving into my network per client.

cake has been running for 6hrs now. with spdMerling doing test every 60min on a mostly quiet network. average went from 550 to 260, with one measurement reaching 330Mbps. maybe comcast is having a bad network day, which is not uncommon. :)
bloat is gone and the users at home are happier;
i'll pause suricata to see if it's a factor

Additional parameters tuned? I guess good to know the users are happier!

Additional parameters tuned? I guess good to know the users are happier!
much happier. before, a single client going full throttle on up or down, would cause packet loss on other clients. no more!
also i just noticed that the DL speeds i get on spdMerlin top at:
running only suricata: 500Mbps (practical max with my modem/line)
running only cake: 370Mbps
running both: 260Mbps

Last edited:
One thing I like that FreshJR/Adaptive has that I would imagine CAKE doesn't is the ability to look at the different traffic categories per client. Any chance CAKE has or would have something similar to that? I believe from what I'm reading and understanding it wouldn't based on the simple, it just works comments, but I do like diving into my network per client.

Not sure on the "per client", but @jackiechun and I are contemplating adding some config options to include different Priority Queue Parameters (diffserv4) which puts traffic into 4 "tins" as noted here: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html#PRIORITY_QUEUE_PARAMETERS

We currently use besteffort for both up/down in the script.