What's new

GUI flashing amber light says an update is available & it's not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Preskitt.man

Regular Contributor
Recently installed 384.9 of Merlin on my RT-AC68U. Since the install, I have a flashing amber light on the status line of the GUI, and clicking on it tells me a firmware update is available. If click on the Update now link, it takes me to the Update page. But if I click on Check for the Firmware Version, it takes me to the Source Forge firmware page, where 384.9 is still the latest released version of the firmware. Also, if I click on Check for the Signature version, it tells me the signature is up to date.

FWIW, when I upgraded to 394.9, I was coming from 380.70, and got there by doing a series of installs, first 384.3; then 384.6 and then 384.9. All the installs went fine, and other than this flashing light, the software seems to be working fine.

Recently installed 384.9 of Merlin on my RT-AC68U. Since the install, I have a flashing amber light on the status line of the GUI, and clicking on it tells me a firmware update is available. If click on the Update now link, it takes me to the Update page. But if I click on Check for the Firmware Version, it takes me to the Source Forge firmware page, where 384.9 is still the latest released version of the firmware. Also, if I click on Check for the Signature version, it tells me the signature is up to date.

FWIW, when I upgraded to 394.9, I was coming from 380.70, and got there by doing a series of installs, first 384.3; then 384.6 and then 384.9. All the installs went fine, and other than this flashing light, the software seems to be working fine.
It is strongly advised to reset to defaults when migrating from 380.XX to the new 384.XX next gen firmware. Any importing of saved settings is discouraged. Give it try it may help with more than you can see right now.

You can ignore this bug if you want, but if more glitches show up, a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP is recommended. Please see the links in my signature for more info.

Since Asus removed support for beta firmware checks, it seems to have created some issues surrounding it in my own implementation. I'm still evaluating my options, I'm currently considering doing like Asus and dropping support for beta notifications.

In the meantime, disabling Beta notifications under Tools -> Other Settings usually resolves it.

The signature check is completely unrelated, it's for the Trend Micro DPI engine.

Just got around to checking back on this thread. I went to tools, and curiously, both New Firmware Check and Beta Firmware Check were set to no. I first turned New Firmware Check on and left Beta off. That didn't fix anything. I then turned Beta checking on as well, problem went away.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!